News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hoch und Deutschmeister

while doing a little research, i got "stuck a little" as i can't find any useable info on the Hoch und Deutschmeister during 43/44. i know they where located in italy - but sadly thats it. the farest going info was, that the guy im researching went to a war-hospital which was in neapel.

(thought i'm intelligent and i buy a book about that unit - in total its the best idea i guess - but after ordering, i got a reply that they are on holiday until the end of the month and can do the transaction first after the end of the month :banger: - and now i'm sitting at home waiting for the book - weather is bad ... - hell)

so if someone can help me, i would be very happy!

thanks a lot christian

ps: if you need correct data or so, just let me know and i'll post them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hoch und Deutschmeister? I rememebr reading that Regiment was annihilated in Stalingrad. Are there any good sites, books, etc on this then? thanks.

K

There is a book by Edmund Finke about this Regiment (founded 1696). The last 16 pages handle the history of the 44. ID and later Reichsgrenadier-Division Hoch- und Deutschmeister.

Mos tof the 44. ID was anihilated in Stalingrad. Shortly before the end on Jannuary 29th 1943 GFM Paulus made the proposal to the OKH to bestow the title Hoch- und Deutschmeister to the IR 134, part of the 44. ID, as recognition for their eceptionell service.

Short after the End in Stalingrad (February 1943) it was decided to rebuilt the 13 razed Infantry-Divisions. The rebuilt started in March in Belgium (AOK 15)

Three divisions belonged to the Wehrkreis XVII (Vienna). The new 44. ID waqr raised on base of the Grenadier-Regiments 887 and 888, that were built up from the Unterf?hrerlerhrg?nge from Wehrkreis XIII (N?rnberg) and XVII (Vienna). Replacement came not onlx from austria but from all over the reich.

on 1st of June 1943 the new Division was presented in Antwerpen the name Reichsgrenadier-Division Hoch- und Deutschmeister. As divisional sign the got the Deutschmeister-Cross instead the red-white-red crest the had before.

The new name was also given to the IR 134 which was the Traditionsnachfolger of the old austrian IR 4.

Parts of the Division fought in Nothern Italy against Partisans. The large Mass of the Division fought at the river sangro (28.11.43 - 4.1.44), at the river Carigliano and Fiume rapido (5.1.44 - 25.1.44) and in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd defence-battle at Cassino and the liri-river (1-18.2.44, 15.3 - 24.3.44, 12.5 - 31.5.44)

Later the 44 ID fought in the abruzzes and went to Udine to be refreshed for service on the estern front.

regards

Haynau