News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Calling WildCard! Hannoverian Alert!

Thanks for the heads up. :speechless1: Very, well let?s say, curious for sure. Gosh... I?m searching for words here. :unsure:

Okay... I guess that this is supposed to be his ?military? bar. First, we have the ?mandatory? Guelph 4th class; which from it?s founding in 1841 was always worn by the members of the family when in uniform, regardless of what else might be appropriate for the occasion. Next, is a knight 2nd class to the short lived Ernst August Order. Although awarded to military personnel, this order did not have a military (with swords) division. Next understandably, is his Langansalza medal. Understandably? Okay, so he was only eleven years old at the time; but he had connections.

Now we go to the two non combat decorations for WWI; and again the family connections come to the fore. I can not address the next two Austrian decorations; but last, but not least in the heart?s of all, is Mom?s 81st jubilee medal - another ?must wear?.

Possible? I suppose so; but exactly what does it signify. A military career that goes from 1866 to 1914+. Personally, I like the bar in Thies? December auction better in that, for all of it?s jubilee medals and other royal gifts, it better illustrates his life; whereas, in my opinion, this one conveys a sad attempt to convey a military career that never really happened.

In all fairness, though, this does raise a point that I have wanted for some time to present in a thread - multiple bars belonging to individuals. Stay tuned, and thanks again for the heads up Stogieman,

Wild Card

Edited by Wild Card

There's a loose Austrian Maria-Theresa that is actually shown in one photo, possibly in the printed catalogue, mounted/pinned in front of this bar on a tunic. Is it possible we have an Austrian here masquerading as something else? I have not seen a photo of the reverse....