News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Old Photo ID

Mark M

I picked up this old photo while I was on vacation a few weeks back and thought I would post it for others to see. It is nothing flashy or fancy, it just reminded me of so many photos of German soldiers that I thought it unique. No markings or names of any kind, but from the uniforms I am guessing the elder gentleman on the left is a civil war veteran and the corporal on the right a WWI veteran. Can anyone ID the medals the civil war veteran is wearing?

Regards,

Mark

[attachmentid=53498]

Mark M,

An interesting photo, a bit scarcer that a GAR one. What you have is an older veteran who looks to be a member of an organization known as the Army and Navy Union. This group was formed in 1886 and was open to any US veteran, regardless of branck of service or war service. The 5-armed cross he is wearing is the A&NU membership medal. The organization is still around, and I think still open to any vet. I can't tell what the second medal is, possibily a convention badge. Doesn't look like any regular campaign award or a navy good conduct medal.

By the way, I doubt this vet was a member of the GAR, or he would almost certainly have had a GAR membership medal, the familiar star shaped medal, similar to the MOH. If the wreath on his hat is clear,and you can tell us what is says, it might help the ID. So if he's not GAR, and nothing else indicates any membership in the Spanish War service organizations, that could mean he served in any branch of the military during the pre-war years. If someone can identify the second medal, we might be able to narrow that down.

The younger vet is in a WWI period Army uniform. On his right sleve, as seen by the viewer, are two overseas service chevrons, I think one for each six month overseas service. On his left sleeve is a single wound chevron. The Purple Heart wasn't authorized until 1932, so no ribbon for that. However, the single ribbon bar he is wearing might be a very early wound ribbon (white with two red stripes) that was unofficial, or very briefly officially approved, depending upon who you want to believe. If the photo is clear, you might be able to verify this, and that it is not the standard Victory Medal ribbon. B&W photos never do justice to ribbon colors, so you may see more variation in the stripes or colors yourself, indicating the Victory. If not, it may be a Wound Ribbon.

And I think his rank is a PFC. I only see one stripe.

Either way, a nice find.

FireMedals

Edited by FireMedals

Firemedals

Thank you for the information. The cap badge is very unclear in the photo. I assumed he was a GAR veteran from his age - 50+ years from the end of the civil war to end of WWI vs 20+ years from the end of Spanish American war.

The other soldier might be either a PFC or Corporol. There is a shadow above the rank stripe that looks like it could be a second stripe, but then again it might be just a shadow!

Thanks again,

Mark

[attachmentid=53519]

Mark M,

Curiousier and curiouser....

I think the old vet ID will depend upon someone ID'ing the medal he has. We'll may at least know his organization and maybe time period.

The young guy just keeps getting better. I'd agree Corporal with the new pix. I couldn't see the second stripe. But the new pix of the ribbon pretty much eliminates an early wound ribbon. Too bad...I'd love to find a photo of that elusive puppy. Now the ribbon looks like a Distinguished Service Medal. A new gong in WWI, and probably got handed out to an enlisted man or two. We should have some well informed members who can answer that question.

Also, the new pix of his chevrons...do I see a faint image of a propeller below the chevrons??? Might be a trick of the enlargment process. What do you see looking at the original? If they are there...an Avation Corporal with a DSM...probably not too many of them around.

I've exhausted my three guesses. I'll sit back and let younger eyes weigh in.

FireMedals