News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Aspley House

Nick

I visited Aspley House a couple of weeks ago which is the London home of the Duke of Wellington. Some fantastic items are held there including the first Dukes swords, medals and decorations as well as a lot of items presented by European Monarchs after Waterloo. It was also interesting to see some of Bonapartes personal items including paintings of Josephine and his brother Joseph. I wish there had been more campaign memorabilia there, but it is well worth a visit and often missed by tourists visiting London.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server....conProperty.410

Hello Nick,

The Duke of Wellington's Boots.... :beer: I was invited aboard the Queens Royal Yacht when it was still around and saw some real nice items such as Nelson's war trophies. The Petty Officers aboard the yacht had a bar connected to their berthing. :cheers:

Hopefully tomorrow I'll post the Battle of the Nile thread. I'm waiting on one item to come in the mail...

thanks,

barry

I have also been to No 1 London the silver display that was used at Waterloo Anniversery Dinners is incredible.

Another good spot but not well known is the Regimental Museum of The Duke of Wellington Rgiment in Halifax West Yorkshire. In here they have numerous personal items of the Duke including the Camp Bed he used during The Waterloo Campaign and his boots.

Also the National Army Museum in Chelsea has the Diarama made several years after the Battle of Waterloo. Its not very accurate as the modeller was paid by officers present to enhance their role!!

There is also one of Copenhagens hoofs there as well.