News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello All,

I have a Kriegsmarine Officer's Dress Mess Jacket with the current rank of Oberletnant. Inside the pocket is a name tag with what I think might be Carle(?). Not sure of that so I'd most appreciate anyone's opinion on the name.

Many Thanks!

John

Looks to me like Ob.F.z.S. or Oberf?hnrich zur See.

An unusual name as not many German surnames begin with a letter "C".

I can only find one, a Heinz-G?nther Carle who was Kapit?nleutnant in 1942 and was a signals officer in the light anti-aircraft branch of the navy.

A senior cadet on the date shown on the label would have been comissioned Leutnant before the outbreak of war and quite easily have reached Kaleu by 1942 so it could be the same guy. Rick is the man you need for confirmation, or otherwise, of this or any other possible candidates.

Guest Rick Research

That is indeed him. Heinz-G?nther Carl? was born 29 November 1914. Joined the navy with Crew 1934

F?hnrich zur See 1.7.35 and as of the 1 November 1936 aboard "Deutschland" so he was possibly there when the ship was bombed in Spanish waters in 1937. Are there loops for a Spanish Cross on the jacket?

Commissioned Leutnant zur See 1 May 1937 so this was, typically, getting his wardrobe in place for that happy event, and the rank and time still Oberf?hnrich fits.

In 1937 after commissioning he was in the Schiffstamm "Schlesien."

1 January 1939 resident in Leer with 8. Schiffstamm Abteilung.

Oberleutnant zur See

Kapit?nleutnant zur See 1 April 1942 # 29.

Survived the war and retired at that rank.

Interestingly enough, in all the MOHeV directories I have between 1960 and 1991 (my latest edition) he is shown NOT as "Heinz-G?nther" but as

Henry G. !!!

He lived in Hamburg 1960-91 (at least-- still alive that year). 1960 and 1963 as H?ttenbetriebskaufmann for Firma Kupferh?tte Ertel, Bieler & Co. 1980 has him as "General Bevollm?chtiger" at Ballindamm II, but doesn't show for what company.

His wife Elisabeth n?e von Hobe, born 23 March 1910, apparently died between 1985 and 1991, for she is not liisted from the one edition to the other, and he had moved to a different address after being at the same one for at least 25 years.

Kriegsmarine Ranglisten 1936, 1937, 1944. Kriegsmarine Birthdays Directory 1939. MOHeV Directories 1960, 1963, 1980, 1985, 1991.

Hello Gordon and Rick,

The jacket has no award loops, and I can not see any evidence there ever were any. From it's condition it appears it was worn very little. I really appreciate all of the information.

Best Regards,

John

That is indeed him. Heinz-G?nther Carl? was born 29 November 1914. Joined the navy with Crew 1934

F?hnrich zur See 1.7.35 and as of the 1 November 1936 aboard "Deutschland" so he was possibly there when the ship was bombed in Spanish waters in 1937. Are there loops for a Spanish Cross on the jacket?

Commissioned Leutnant zur See 1 May 1937 so this was, typically, getting his wardrobe in place for that happy event, and the rank and time still Oberf?hnrich fits.

In 1937 after commissioning he was in the Schiffstamm "Schlesien."

1 January 1939 resident in Leer with 8. Schiffstamm Abteilung.

Oberleutnant zur See

Kapit?nleutnant zur See 1 April 1942 # 29.

Survived the war and retired at that rank.

Interestingly enough, in all the MOHeV directories I have between 1960 and 1991 (my latest edition) he is shown NOT as "Heinz-G?nther" but as

Henry G. !!!

He lived in Hamburg 1960-91 (at least-- still alive that year). 1960 and 1963 as H?ttenbetriebskaufmann for Firma Kupferh?tte Ertel, Bieler & Co. 1980 has him as "General Bevollm?chtiger" at Ballindamm II, but doesn't show for what company.

His wife Elisabeth n?e von Hobe, born 23 March 1910, apparently died between 1985 and 1991, for she is not liisted from the one edition to the other, and he had moved to a different address after being at the same one for at least 25 years.

Kriegsmarine Ranglisten 1936, 1937, 1944. Kriegsmarine Birthdays Directory 1939. MOHeV Directories 1960, 1963, 1980, 1985, 1991.