News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unusual Medal Bar

Mark M

I am going to post these photos of this bar I saw to see what everyone's thoughts on it are. 4 place medal bar that appears mounted in the style of 1930's. The awards consist of:

Spanish Civil War Victory medal.

Military Merit cross with 3 brass bars,

Order of St Hermengildo,

Morocco medal with 2 campaign bars for "Larache" and " Melilla".

Does this bar look legit? What would the last two awards have been awarded for?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

[attachmentid=54450]

A fascinating bar, though it seems to have been mounted (mounted-up?) by someone who thinks only the Spanish Civil War ever happened. Sure you guys know the first two items.

The Order of St. Hermengild (#3) was created in 1814 as the preeminent order for military merit (it became, in essence, a long-service award for officers).

The Medalla Militar de Maurruecos (Military Medal for Morocco), 1916 (the last item), carried clasps for Tetu?n, Larache, and Melilla.

While I am, off the cuff, unsure on official Spanish award ranking, I'd assume this should be #3, #2, #4, #1 in proper order. Makes me worry about possible "group" mismounting by someone who had only heard of the civil war. Nice individual medals, though.

No offense, but having this hidden as if it was a set of Third Reich awards meant it took me much longer to find this, as I rarely bother look in in this area.

Ed

Thank you. I recognized the first two awards but not the last two - that is why I started the thread in the Spanish Civil War forum. Please feel free to move it to the correct forum.

Out of curiosity how are these awards mounted to the bar, and can the order of mounting be corrected?

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

It has been so long since I have seen one of these Spanish bars, that I'd have to see it or, better, ask an expert (once you know the REAL order).

The best online source for Spanish medal information is, of course, Antonio Prieto Barrio's at http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/index.htm (and, actually, he shows a somewhat similar bar on his page!).

Ed