News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My First Luftwaffe Wireless Operators Badge

Hello

I have just got back from the Stockport Militaria fair, from where I have bought my first Luftwaffe Wireless Operators badge. It looks to me like it is made from tombak. The detail and finish to it are excellent. It is maker marked 'BSW' in a clover leaf on the reverse. The top right arm of the swastika has been fretted out.

Would anyone know if this is an early, mid or late war version ?

As always, any comments or observations welcomed.

Thank you

Hi David,

I just hate being the voice of doom..

This, I'm afraid, needs to be returned to the seller, if at all possible as this is a quite well known fake.

Although the hinge and maker mark are close, the wreath, eagle and overall finish have none of the characteristics of an original BSW piece.

When I get a minute, I'll dig out some pix of an original and do some comparison shots.

:blush:

Hello John

Thanks for that. With the dealer I bought it from at the show there is no problem at all in returning it. I'm extremely surprised that this particular dealer got caught out with a fake - that said though, we all do from time to time !!

Hello John

Thanks for that. With the dealer I bought it from at the show there is no problem at all in returning it. I'm extremely surprised that this particular dealer got caught out with a fake - that said though, we all do from time to time !!

That is good news, David. And you're right, I think we all have that box with those little gems that we wish we didn't have. ;)

Anyway, here are some comparisons. Originals on the left.

Hello John

Many thanks for that. I've just spoken to the dealer who has told me to send it straight back to him. No problem at all. Fortunately he has a really good reputation to look after, and having dealt with him on and off for some years I know he is one of the few honourable dealers out there.

I think I'll stick to my iron crosses, at least I do know what I'm looking at with them !!

By the way, it's David not Mark.

Edited by DavidM

Hello

Just to complete the story on this piece, I have returned the badge to the dealer, and as expected, without any problems at all. At least there are still some genuinely reputable and honest dealers out there who honour their guarentees and return policies.

Hello

Just to complete the story on this piece, I have returned the badge to the dealer, and as expected, without any problems at all. At least there are still some genuinely reputable and honest dealers out there who honour their guarentees and return policies.

Good to hear that it all worked out, David.