News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 EK1 "900"?

This one is the most common variation with a silver contend stamp.They can be found convex or flat-also with different pins and stamp variations.Core and frame are always the same. The one I want to show you today is the twin brother of Bill's "900".But.....have a look at the stamp-it looks like they have used a modified "8" -so if one of you has got a "900" with this core ,please have a look if the stamp is looking like this one.

Micha

Hello

I'm not 100% certain, (my old eyes are getting tired and I haven't got my glasses with me), but I think that these two of mine have the same core. One is marked '800' on the pin, the other, sadly missing it's large retaining plate, is unmarked but the screw portion is stamped '800'. Both marks look like normal '800' stamps to me. Both crosses are vaulted, or convexed types.

Edit Note: I've just been and found my glasses, and yes, the cores etc on mine are a match for the two above.

Edited by DavidM

Hello Micha

By 'Deutscher Offiziersverein' are you referring to the official award pieces? If so, I had aways thought the 'KO' marked items were the official award pieces, and these have - or at least mine do - different cores. Or does 'Deutscher Offiziersverein' refer to something else? Please advise.

Thanks.

The"Deutscher Offiziersverein" Eks where private purchsed pieces.In general you can say this about all screwback EKs! "KO" K?nigliches M?nzamt Stuttgart was not the only "producer" of officially awarded Eks-I've seen "WS,Fr,FR,CD800,S-W,G....)coming with the original cardbox.And it might be possible that also "JWS,HBG and We" has made awarded pieces(but I haven't seen them in a complete grouping.

Micha

Hi,

Micha, I have one example with the same hinge/pin/catch as yours - it is a definite - fully formed - "800" mark. Imo, your example is also an "800" - the lower left of the stamp is missing though.

This particular core has to be one of THE most widely distributed core of any Prussian 1914EK1. Did all you guys get "Clayton's" adds on TV (?80s - for the drink)? This core is imo the "Clayton's" core - the core you have when you don't have a core! I have 8 different variants which utilise this core. Imo, one of the bigger firms made it and widely distributed it.

Re "Deutscher Offiziersverein" marked EKs, I agree, they were almost certainly privately purchased and their distributor, in this case the German Officer's Association, imo marked them with their own organisation.

I definitely agree that KO were not the only official award pieces. I've seen it written a few times recently that "KO" was the ONLY offically awarded type - I'd love to know where that rubbish came from!

Regards

Mike

A link to a scan...

http://members.iinet.net.au/~datumgeo/8xta...1-obv-x250a.jpg

Edited by Mike K

Hi Bill,

Looking at that marking, it's really hard to say - compounded because it appears to be a slight double stamping. For me the second image still seems to show a 3/4 "8" rather than a 9. The 1/2 "0" on the right seems to indicate that the stamp/punch was deteriorating - chipping on both the left and right edges of the imo "800" marking.

Regards

Mike

Thank you, Mike. I can now see with these extreme close-ups, what I thought was "9" was in reality a deteriorating maker's stamp "8". I guess this means I am still looking for a "900"! Edited by Bill Garvy

Well....me too! But going thru my pictures archive I wasn't able to find a "900" with this kind of core....but anyway,there are so many imperial Ek variations out there,that will keep my busy the next few days :cheers:

Micha