News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Please use "Add Reply" at bottom right of all posts to add to the same topic. I have (laboriously) combined every single individual post into ONE here now. :beer:

Hi,

I'll put in my two bob's worth - this is one that I would not buy for two main reasons;

1) the shape of the crown well, where the hinge is placed &

2) the spider-patina which looks like artificial aging.

I can't make out umlats over the O in Pollath either, but that may only be the images.

Regards

Mike

Hi,

I'll put in my two bob's worth - this is one that I would not buy for two main reasons;

1) the shape of the crown well, where the hinge is placed &

2) the spider-patina which looks like artificial aging.

I can't make out umlats over the O in Pollath either, but that may only be the images.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike, I agree.. I also have a problem with the casting flaw on the reverse lower right crown.

Do you know why there are two spellings? Do you think this is a red flag?

Karl Pollath

Carl Poellath

Do you know why there are two spellings? Do you think this is a red flag?

Karl Pollath

Carl Poellath

Hi Gunther,

There are many threads dedicated to the whys and wherefores of the two different spellings. I have a non-military item which uses "Carl Poellath" and "Carl P?llath" (note the C in the second spelling and not the K found on flight badges)! As far as I know, both variations you've mentioned are accepted on Bavarian flight badges (but the mark does not go close to Id'ing a genuine example)!

In the POLLATH version though, there SHOULD be an umlat over the O.

For what it's worth, they are still in existence and have been contacted in the past by other members to try and resolve the issure, without 100% success though. Here's a link to their current website;

http://www.poellath.de/index.htm

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike K,

I've been reading several threads here and on WA. I've learned quite a bit. Wish I had done the reading before I posted the images of this badge.. I'll be sending it back on Tuesday..

That is interesting about the Poellath firm, thanks for the link..

All the best..

Mike W.

Guest Brian von Etzel

I've always shunned those badges that seem to have a reverse ray setup from the originals on the back.

Brian,

That is all very interesting. But what makes you so sure one type is good and one type is bad?

How can you be sure?

Best...

Mike

Hi Mike,

That good Juncker type is the only type I personally have seen with any direct German veteran provenance. Imo that type is rock solid good. Of course it's been faked and there are some good castings in curculation so care still needs to be taken.

Regards

Mike

There is NO documentation of ANY Prussian (Juncker) Aviation Badge (Army) having been made with that crown mark. The quality of every single one is substantially below known originals. All known (direct from family) originals have no such mark.

There is some evidence that a substantially different mark may have been used on a very select few Naval Aviation Badges of Prussia. This mark is also known to have been used by Wagner on Railway badges.