News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

this is sure the wrong section for this buckle,but I have no idea where else to post it. I need help-what do I have here?

Hallo Rosenburg, :beer:

Nice Buckle :jumping:

I am I correct in Reading the numbers as: 3G 2435 1861 ??

All I can make out on the Maker name is the J. P. what are the following letters ??

Kevin in Deva :beer:

I am I correct in Reading the numbers as: 3G 2435 1861 ??

This is a French Third Empire grenadiers buckle. The above marking is a unit mark "3rd Regiment of Grenadiers, buckle # 2435 issued in 1861" I would say this was definitely used in the Franco-Prussian War and possibly as late as WW1 since they were still using this style of buckle. It appears to have been dug. Do you know where? If you clean it, use a toothbrush or such to remove the green, do not attempt to remove the dark patina, this is part of the history of the piece.

Dan

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Dear Mr.Murphy,

you are the man :beer:

Your observations fit perfectly! It is indeed ground dug,found in the garden of some guy in Germany near the French border.And also thanks alot for the hint on how to clean it.

Kindest Regards