News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This is my from Bavaria. It's the:

Bayern Milit?r-Verdienstkreuz III. Klasse mit Schwertern

The third class of the Military Service Cross was founded on December 22, 1913 by King Ludwig III of Bavaria. All awards of the Military Service Cross awarded during wartime were with swords.

:beer: Doc

This is mine from Bavaria. It's the:

Bayern Milit?r-Verdienstkreuz III. Klasse mit Schwertern

The third class of the Military Service Cross was founded on December 22, 1913 by King Ludwig III of Bavaria. All awards of the Military Service Cross awarded during wartime were with swords.

Hallo Doc, nice one, sometimes the maker mark can be found on the rear of the sword blades.

3 Form 1913 - 1921 And the ribbon had two thin black stripes to denote a war-time award as opossed to the Blue & white peace-time ribbon.

There also was a 4 Form 1916 - 1917 (came with a Crown & Swords, which just denotes a higher grade of III Class,) you can take a look at some other examples at http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7352

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Thanks Kevin!! I'm keeping my eyes open for one each without swords and Crown and swords.

Best,

Doc

Hallo Doc, :beer:

be very careful about the non-sword varieties its not unknown for swords to be removed and then the cross sold on as the rare Civil award, particular attension has to be paid to the hole where the swords are fixed it should look like a tear-drop in shape and not round, also inspect for evidence of filing.

Kevin in Deva- :beer:

Hallo Doc, :beer:

be very careful about the non-sword varieties its not unknown for swords to be removed and then the cross sold on as the rare Civil award, particular attension has to be paid to the hole where the swords are fixed it should look like a tear-drop in shape and not round, also inspect for evidence of filing.

Kevin in Deva- :beer:

Hey Kevin,

Thank You for the information!!! I'll be careful.

Hallo Doc, nice one, sometimes the maker mark can be found on the rear of the sword blades.

3 Form 1913 - 1921 And the ribbon had two thin black stripes to denote a war-time award as opossed to the Blue & white peace-time ribbon.

There also was a 4 Form 1916 - 1917 (came with a Crown & Swords, which just denotes a higher grade of III Class,) you can take a look at some other examples at http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7352

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Deschler

Hi Doc,

I?m glad that Kevin pointed out the problem with the ?without swords? MVK?s. This point can not be emphasized strongly enough; there are a lot of bad examples out there. Keep in mind that of your type of cross, there were 24 without swords and 71 with crown (again without swords) awarded.

As to the tear drop shaped hole, below is an example of a second class cross without swords for reference. I hope that this is helpful.

Best wishes,

Wild Card