News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe brocade belt and buckle

Thanks Paul. But I'm concerned that it might be postwar. I've been told that it looks like a postwar item for various reasons, one of which is the fact that the tab on the back of the buckle can be bent with a little pressure from my thumb. But the person I got it from says that several dealers had no problem with it at the MAX show. I'm puzzled. I really need for somebody to help me out with this.

Mike

Hi all. I thought I'd update everyone on this. The belt has been returned to the seller. The chances of it being original are very slim I think. First of all, the tab on the reverse of the buckle can be bent with little effort. From what I understand you shouldn't be able to bend it that easily. Secondly, the buckle is supposed to be an early one because of the eagle with the dropped tail. It should be brass and not aluminum. Thirdly, the various bands of aluminum and color on the belt should meet the known size requirements which they do not. The dealer I got it from insists that this information does not mean that it's a copy. He stands behind his assertion that it's good. My gut feeling is that it is a copy.

Mike

• 2 months later...

Hi Paul,

It is best to handle these in person. Form what was shown in the pictures I did not have a problem with the brocade or belt. I guess the close hands on exam resulted in his returning the brocade.

To answer your question, yes they reproduce the buckles and the brocades. Additionally brocades can be updgraded; i.e. sewing a gold plated keeper to an officers brocade and putting a Gen officer buckle with it. (Brocades for Generals and officers were the same, buckles were in the reverse color though).

Gary B

Gary,

What are your thoughts on this belt. What traits make it stand out as a repro(if it is)?

Paul,

It is really more of a hand's on/feel thing, at least for me. One of the things I have noticed on the repro brocades is that they seem to be thicker than the originals. You also have to watch out that "modern" DDR brocades have not been added to a WWII officer buckle.

Gary B

Thanks Gary.

What are the differences between an original and reproduction that we should look out for?

Paul