News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Suez, 29 October - 6 November 1956

Ed_Haynes

While we have remembered, elsewhere, the phaleristic aspects of the Hungarian uprising of 1956, we have ignored the Suez Crisis of 1956.

1- Great Britain -- General Service Medal, 1918-62: ?Near East? (the relevant clasp) and "Cyprus" -- named to "23277668 SPR. J. F. COLLISTON, R.E." -- I do not have the corresponding Naval General Service Medal, can someone supply?

2- France -- M?daille d?Orient: ?Moyen-Orient?

3- Israel -- ribbon for the Sinai Campaign, 1956

I do not have, alas, either the medal or the image of the Egyptian medal for this campaign, the Nuut al-Nasr / Victory Medal, awarded to commemorate the first anniversary of the foreign evacuation of Port Said (Egypt). The medal was presented to all members of the armed forces and to military students who were serving on 23 December 1958.

Can someone supply?

Following this campaign, the first United Nationa peacekeeping force was establish, the Unitedd Nations Emergency Force (UNEF).

While missing one medal ( :( ), the group to 4436391 Havildar Bachittar Singh, Sikh Light Infantry, with his UNEF medal at the end:

Also posted on the Israeli militaria thread, here is my ribbon bar which includes the 1956 war ribbon:

IPB Image

And for the historical and not just phaleristic side, some might find this interesting. From the French Ministry of Defense audiovisual department, some 1957 newsreel footage of air, sea and land operations, including the Franco-British combat jump along the Canal:

http://www.ecpad.fr/ecpa/PagesDyn/notvdo.a...collectionid=11