News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Are these correct shoulderboards?

Hello,

I know that there was a Infanterie Regiment Nr. 457 in the 236th Division, but would the back not be white?

It looks that the numbers are on the boards for some time - are these correct shoulderboards?

If yes, what unit (Artillerie or Infanterie)? It also seems that there was another pip on the boards.

Hardy

[attachmentid=58860]

[attachmentid=58861]

Naxos,

I checked to see if this could have been an artillery unit and I can find no artillery formations or munitions columns that carried this number or any number in the 450's. The 236. Division was not formed until December of 1916, well after the 1915 clothing regulations took effect, so if these are from the infantry regiment, the underlay should be white. Perhaps the officer was seconded from some other type of unit and just added the regimental numbers. From the haphazard look of the numbers, it would not be too surprising that they didn't bother finding some new boards.

Chip

Does anyone have the Officers Roster (Stellenbesetzung) of the Infanterie-Regiment Nr.457 for 1918.

Perhaps one could find a Hauptmann or Oberleutnant that was transferd from the Artillerie.

Hardy

Another possibility would be an officer from a Pionier-Bataillone who renumbered his M-1910 boards, rather than getting new ones. The double red/black piping for pioneers was for M-1915 uniforms. Prior to that, the boards for pioneer officers would just be red. Although I couldn't find a Pion.-Btl. 457, there were certainly pioneer units up into the 500s.

Dave