News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Awards for long service

Ed_Haynes

After going through the sections in Battushig's book where he deals with awards for long service, I have been trying to sort these things out. After checking with him directly, here is a clarification:

In 1947, long service awards of existing orders were were allowed for the mlitary (= generals, officers, sergeants but NOT those below sergeant), including interior forces and border guards:

30 years - Sukhbaatar

25 years - RB Combat Valor

20 years - Combat Valor

15 years - Polar Star

10 Years - Medal Combat

In 1951 an extra decree allowed for long service awards for medical personel and for teachers:

For medical personnel in Gobi (G), Khangai (K), and Ulanbaatar (UB):

Sukhbaatar - 15 (G), 20 (K), 25 (UB)

RB Labor - 10 (G), 15 (K), 20 (UB)

Polar Star - 5 (G), 10 (K), 15 (UB)

Labor Medal - 3 (G), 5 (K), 10 (UB)

Gobi region = Umnugobi, Dornogobi, Dundgobi, Gobi-Altai, Sukhbaatar, Bayanhongor provinces.

Teachers (any place):

30 years - Sukhbaatar

20 Years - RB Labor

15 years - Polar Star

10 years - Medal Labor

In 1957, long service awards were extended to other professions (agriculture, engineering, railway) using the same regulations as the teachers.

In 1959, all awards for long service were abolished except for the military.

After 1959, for military ONLY:

15 years - Combat Valor

10 years - Medal Combat

RB of Combat Valor, Sukhbaatar, Hero of Mongolia could be awarded for "distinguished" service in exceptional cases.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

Yes indeed, thanks! That is more complete than what we have on changing Soviet regulations for civil servants, for instance. :beer:

And it reinforces my long held Translation Is An Art Not A Science pedantic point about the improper use of translations such as "Combat" and "Valor" when-- literally-- 99.9897534219 % of all such were not ever awarded for that sort of service. Using those terms distorts understanding of what they were REALLY given for.

But then I still can't get native Russian speakers who KNOW the difference between "zasluga" and "sluzhba" to stop using "service" for "merit" so I have no high hopes for transforming English language terminology for Mongolian awards either. :rolleyes::cheeky:

Yes indeed, thanks! That is more complete than what we have on changing Soviet regulations for civil servants, for instance. :beer:

And it reinforces my long held Translation Is An Art Not A Science pedantic point about the improper use of translations such as "Combat" and "Valor" when-- literally-- 99.9897534219 % of all such were not ever awarded for that sort of service. Using those terms distorts understanding of what they were REALLY given for.

But then I still can't get native Russian speakers who KNOW the difference between "zasluga" and "sluzhba" to stop using "service" for "merit" so I have no high hopes for transforming English language terminology for Mongolian awards either. :rolleyes::cheeky:

Maybe when we get the Battiushig 2nd edition . . . ????

And maybe when we get some research capability . . . ????

:beer: