News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dieppe raid, 1942

After Peter mentioned the Dieppe raid in a thread started by Gilbert, it made me remember that I had a German illustrated newspaper (Cologne Illustrated News) somewhere showing a few photos. I?ve dug it out and scanned some of them in case of any interest.

All photos, whether Dieppe or in Africa have captions in German and French so I would imagine the Cologne Illustrated was sold in France too.

Tony

Tony,

Great images. My Mum's uncle is quite possibly in that column of soldiers marching into captivity.

He was a commando and was captured in the aftermath of the raid. My childhood memories of him are scant, but I remember that he was very bitter about his time as a prisoner.

Coincidentally, one of my father's uncles was a commando and also took part in the raid, but he managed to escape and later served in North Africa, France and, I believe, Holland and Germany.

Unfortunately, most of their belongings have been distributed among the family and we only have a few photos left.

David

Great photos, Tony!

One of the units decimated at Dieppe was the "Riley's" - First Battalion, Royal Hamilton Light Infantry. An uncle of my dad's - George Kennedy - joined the Second Battalion and went to Europe after D-Day. He was a bit of an "operator" and, right after the war, he got his hands on hours and reams of German propaganda film and photos which he turned into a movie about the raid.

Family legend says it played at the Imperial war Museum for years but I wouldn't know. Any body ever heard tell of it?

(George was around till a few years ago, always a bit of a black sheep but a real charmer and invariable involved in some "sure fire" money making scheme which never quite came off, but always on behalf of Brabntford, his home town, or some worthy group rather than himself, so people kept kicking in and never blamed George for anything except poor judgement!)

Peter