News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mus?e National de la L?gion d'honneur (Paris)

g_deploige

Neither in the book nor in the museum is said anything about the awardees of these two collars.

It is said that these collars of the Order of Carol I and of Ferdinand I have been made by Resch, in Bucharest.

I'm not sure they have been awarded...

Thanks. The collar of the Order of Carol I was reserved for heads of state, so it would not be surprising if it was awarded to a French president. But of course it could also be possible that the orders were presented as a gift (Did the Mus?e National de la L?gion d'honneur exist in the late 1930s?).

What is sure is this collar has been a gift of King Carol II to the Museum, in 1937. It is neither said in the book nor in the Museum that this Collar has been awarded. The Museum lapels indicate when an award has been attributed, so...

What is also sure is that the Museum opened its doors in 1925, only focusing on French Orders and Medals. It opened to foreign awards in 1932.

My guess : a gift to the Museum, but a gift of a new piece, unissued, unawarded, a few years after its opening.

The only way to check this : ask to the Museum.

Ch.

What is sure is this collar has been a gift of King Carol II to the Museum, in 1937. It is neither said in the book nor in the Museum that this Collar has been awarded. The Museum lapels indicate when an award has been attributed, so...

What is also sure is that the Museum opened its doors in 1925, only focusing on French Orders and Medals. It opened to foreign awards in 1932.

My guess : a gift to the Museum, but a gift of a new piece, unissued, unawarded, a few years after its opening.

The only way to check this : ask to the Museum.

Thanks again Christophe. I will try to contact the museum for details. However, it is quite possible that the awards were a donated as exhibits for the museum, since they started gathering foreign orders well before Carol II's visit. And this proved to be the one of the best ways to preserve a nice specimen of the order (as seen in the images in the other thread). Thanks again for the details and for the images. :)