News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SS enlisted Sleeve Eagles

Gentlemen,

I just found these eagles that I had purchased some time back. I no longer actively collect TR and am not really up to snuff on it anymore. I think they are real, but the fakes have gotten so good I would appreciate your opinions on whether these are good or not. On top is the reverse, on bottom the obverse. Thanks,

Dan

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Gentlemen,

I just found these eagles that I had purchased some time back. I no longer actively collect TR and am not really up to snuff on it anymore. I think they are real, but the fakes have gotten so good I would appreciate your opinions on whether these are good or not. On top is the reverse, on bottom the obverse. Thanks,

Dan

IPB Image

I have a very bad feeling about that sleeve eagle , a reproduction in my book . The stitching looks very thin and the eagles wings seem to be turned down slightly as seen on many repro's .

Have you blacklighted it? It sometimes can be helpful as many can be hinted one way or the other with this method. I know the blacklight method is not perfect, but it can be a good guide. I have an SS sleeve eagle that I really am unsure if it is a real unissued Bevo example, or a repro. It is quite different from Dan's example, as it is Bevo. What do you think, does it have a chance?

Cheers,

Pat

Here is the reverse, I think the stitching is ok, but I am no expert. It doesn't glow at all, but the thread isn't really white so it is probably irrelevant. It is pretty floppy if that helps. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Pat

Have you blacklighted it? It sometimes can be helpful as many can be hinted one way or the other with this method. I know the blacklight method is not perfect, but it can be a good guide. I have an SS sleeve eagle that I really am unsure if it is a real unissued Bevo example, or a repro. It is quite different from Dan's example, as it is Bevo. What do you think, does it have a chance?

Cheers,

Pat

Hi Pat ,

I am certain that the above sleeve eagle is a repro , yours looks very nice but I would stay very far away from it . These Bevo SS sleeve eagles have been so mass produced in the last several years and the fakers have become so good at making this that I would show extreme caution . These Bevo eagles cut from a long roll can be found everyday and your item looks brand new , why does it not show over 60 years of age to it ? Black lights are not very reliable in my opinion as different types of bulbs give off different wave lengths making some items glow and others very little to nothing at all . Also many items were produced in what the Germans called " artificial silk " which meant it was made fron Rayon , a synthetic material .

If you look close at your sleeve eagle the bottom of the swastika looks deformed or mis shapened , I do not think the SS would like to go into battle with funny looking swastika's !

Sorry to say both eagles are post war, the top example is somewhat younger that the machine woven type (2nd eagle) that originated from austria 60-late 70's, this eagle has been copied more than once as well so you get fake copies of fake.

cheers

Gary

Thanks Joe and Gary,

Always thought it was a repro, as it was a throw in, but I thought I would just check to make sure.

Good information guys :beer:

Pat,

I would always view free throw in SS items as fake , as SS and U-Boat items are big ticket items no one in their right mind would give away a good item for free !