News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

U-Boot Badge "53"

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

L/53 is Hymmen I do believe, but this does not look like an L/53. I thought I saw one of these in the past, but searching through numerous threads has not resulted in finding a match.

Al

Hi Al, I believe this one is markd just "53", which would be Glaser an Sohn. I've seen S&L marked U-Boot badge with a "4" in a square before, but never a "53".

So now we have two of these badges. I still do not think the 53 in a square or this badge is period. Are there any other opinions of this one?

If it is a real badge, like to see more discussion on it. If not, same applies.

John

Guest Darrell

At first I thought they were the same badge, based on the below same flaws on the reverse of the Swastika. However, you can see the difference on the obverse (catch is slightly off line on the badge I posted).

This would indicate (to me) they came from the same mold. But when?

Personally I don't like these. I did have one myself in the dim and distant past and initially thought it was good mainly because of the nice pin/hinge set up, though the retaining clip was a bit iffy.

The killer for me was coming across several of these with the swastika drilled out to take small imitation diamonds in an attempt to recreate the U-Boat Badge with Diamonds, all identical and all with the 53 in a box mark. No one would take a genuine badge, set the swastika with fake stones then sell it for less than the value of a regular original U-Boat badge.

Somewhere I may have an image of one of these fakes saved. I'll try to find it.

Guest Darrell

Personally I don't like these. I did have one myself in the dim and distant past and initially thought it was good mainly because of the nice pin/hinge set up, though the retaining clip was a bit iffy.

The killer for me was coming across several of these with the swastika drilled out to take small imitation diamonds in an attempt to recreate the U-Boat Badge with Diamonds, all identical and all with the 53 in a box mark. No one would take a genuine badge, set the swastika with fake stones then sell it for less than the value of a regular original U-Boat badge.

Thanks Gordon. Looking forward to the pics :beer:

Hello Gordon

I have a pic of another Ubadge mm 53 but with different hinge block and retaining clip .

I know the UBadges with diamonds mm Schwerin (I think the only maker) . Why a fake mm 53 ?

Many thanks

giorgio

• 7 months later...