News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bronze Stars

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

The below two Bronze Stars. Can anyone tell me if either are from WW2 based on the reverse hardware?

Which is the earlier manufacture?

Thanks.

Edited by Darrell

Hi Darrell - Both are 'WW2' manufacture but they are not the earilest type. The fist forms came with the 'wrap broach' - the style seen on many earleir awards. From what I have learned the first bronze stars seem to have been awarded to the Navy and the USMC and therefore came with the wrap broach and hte shorter 'coffin' style boxes. However - there is no way to tell if these are truly WW2 era - as they made millions of this 'sewn broach' Bronze Stars and they were awarded in Korea, Vietnam and even up to Desert Storm...

The 'Swank' BS's you see on ebay are in my opinion surplus awards that were found in PA and issued to Desert Storm troops. They were being sold at something like .85 cents ea as I recall when I conversed with the vet.

Still - they are well above the quality that is handed out to our hero's today...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Darrell - Both are 'WW2' manufacture but they are not the earilest type. The fist forms came with the 'wrap broach' - the style seen on many earleir awards. From what I have learned the first bronze stars seem to have been awarded to the Navy and the USMC and therefore came with the wrap broach and hte shorter 'coffin' style boxes. However - there is no way to tell if these are truly WW2 era - as they made millions of this 'sewn broach' Bronze Stars and they were awarded in Korea, Vietnam and even up to Desert Storm...

The 'Swank' BS's you see on ebay are in my opinion surplus awards that were found in PA and issued to Desert Storm troops. They were being sold at something like .85 cents ea as I recall when I conversed with the vet.

Still - they are well above the quality that is handed out to our hero's today...

I don't believe BSM's ever came with "coffin" boxes and they certainly didn't have "wrap broaches" since they were first produced in 1944.

The first awards went to the army which is not surprising since it was an army-conceived medal.

Guest Darrell

I don't believe BSM's ever came with "coffin" boxes and they certainly didn't have "wrap broaches" since they were first produced in 1944.

Mike, what do you classify as a coffin box? These?

There are wrap-brooch Bronze Star medals...those produced for the Navy. Wrap broochs were used on several medals introduced in WWII, the Legion of Merit and the Navy & Marine Corps Medal to name two. I've had two over the years that were well documented to the sea services, and have seen others. Unfortunately there are a lot of original period wrap brooches around, and it's easy to alter them. A more accurate check of Navy vs. Army awards of the BS is to check the thickness. The Navy strikes are noticeably thicker when compared to an Army piece. I don't have the specfications on the thickness of each, but it is easy to see when compared.

The reason for the differences is due to the fact that the Army and Navy each produced their own manufacturing specifications. The Navy WWII versions of the Silver Star and Distinguished Flying Cross are both thicker than the cooresponding Army version. Also, as most of the war produced decorations were made by the US Mint, and bronze was in short supply, the stocks of wrap brooches were there to be used, and were.

There were instances where the services "borrowed" awards from each other, the most well known being the Navy use of the Army Purple Hearts. The Marine Corps was handing them out so quick in the Pacific, production couldn't keep up with demand. So it is not unusual to find an Army style PH issued to a Navy casualty. But that's for another thread.

FireMedals

Guest Darrell

FYI

There is a picture of a Bronze Star in "Call of Duty" page 166 with a wrap broach.

Says, "Navy issue Bronze Star with wrap broach". Nothing more, nothing less :unsure:

FYI

There is a picture of a Bronze Star in "Call of Duty" page 166 with a wrap broach.

Says, "Navy issue Bronze Star with wrap broach". Nothing more, nothing less :unsure:

I knew this, I was just testing you.

Seriously, I think the first awards were given to Generals Patton and/or Bradley. I would imagine the first awards were probably made to the army.