News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Capt. Vanhoegaerden

I have had this bullet-holed WW1 Belgian adrian helmet for some time and have always wondered about whether the owner made it home or not. It was definitely not on his head at the time as the liner is in very good condition. The helmet is well marked to the original owner as subsequent photos will show. Unfortunately someone robbed the lion frontplate off it before I acquired it :angry: Could one or more of our Belgian members help me find out about this officer?

Dan

IPB Image

Hello Dan,

Since your helmet is a Model 1915, your captian might be a soldier of the First War ( although lots of Adrian M 1915 were in use during the Blitzkrieg of May 1940) So I tried the list of "de houders van de vuurkaart/carte du feu", 'cause there was a chance his name is on that list. Later these men received " het vuurkruis/ croix du feu / fire cross. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a captain with that name, but there are two soldiers mentioned. Andr? ( 1st Rgt Engineers) and D?sir? ( 5th Line Infantry Rgt.)I don't know if that list is complete, but I think an officer would be mentioned(?) You can find this list online http://www.tenboome.webruimtehosting.net/guldenboek/gbf.pdf.

You also might try these addresses ( all addresses are in Belgium):

-Legermuseum Jubelpark, 1000 Brussel ( that's the armymuseum in Brussels)

-Stamboek HRG A/N, Bruynestraat, 1120 Neder over Heembeek

-Stafdepartement Inlichtingen en Veiligheid, Aanvraag dossier officieren, Sectie Archieven, Kwartier Koningin Elisabeth, Eversestraat,1 , 1140 Evere.

Hope this is helpful,

Jef