News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A real war Hero...

Chris Boonzaier

This is a perfect example of why I really dont care ever to buy a knights cross again.... sometimes for the price of 1cm of KC ribbon you can pick up agroup that is 100000 times more researchable than an expensive piece of tin

Sergent Paul Garron served in the 20 Regiment d'infanterie and was present at many of the absolute hell holes of WW1.

He had the Medaille Militaire and the Croix de Guerre with 4 citations.

The first one was for Verdun, We have walked these valleys a number of times, so I am sure some of you will recognise the names Fleury, Thiaumont, la Poudriere. An extremely bloody sector with tenacious fighting by both sides.

"A brave and energetic NCO. On the 26th of July he took command of his section under difficult circumstances and leading by example held his position without ceding an inch to the enemy."

In April of 1917 the slaughter in the Champagne caused such heavy losses that the French army would later mutiny. The 20eme R.I. had attacked near Moronvillers and had recieved a citation for the regiment.

"On the 17th of April 1917, under the command of Colonel Martinet who himself was wounded, the regiment took a number of heavily defended eneny trenchlines. Over the next few days they continued their advance taking the "Rendsburg" and "Gottingen" positions, 3500m from their point of depart. They took many prisonners and 20 machine guns. On the 29th April under a heavy gas barrage they continued their advance victoriously holding the captured positions under the fire of heavy artillery.

Signed,

Petain."

The Regiment lost 13 officers killed, 14 wounded, 150 men killed, 610 wounded.

Garrons part got him another citation:

"An excellant NCO, after his officer was wounded he took command of the section and led them until the day he was buried by a heavy shell, suffering numerous wounds. On the 17th of April he destroyed a bunker, taking 20 German prisoners"

Le general commandant en chef cite a l'ordre de L'armee le 20eme regiment d'infanterie:

"Sous le commandement du colonel Martinet, blesse au cours de l'action, s'est empare, le 17eme avril 1917, deplusiers lignes de tranchees defendues avec acharnement, a continue sa pregression les jours suivants pour arriver, apres quatre jours de lutte, aux tranchees de Rendsburg et de Gottingen, a 3500 metres du front de depart, faisant de nombreux prisonniers et enlevant 20 mitrailleuses.

Le 29 avril, reprenant l'attaque, s'est porte en ligne malgre un intense bombardement d'obus asphyxiants, se maintenant victorieusement sur les positions conquises, sous un feu ecrasent d'artillerie lourde.

Signe PETAIN

Chris,

:jumping:GREAT Documented groups!!! :jumping: The first French Documented groups that I've seen. Congratulations!!!

Gerd,

I'm with you. I would like to add a documented Medaille Militaire but I already have SOOOOOOOOO many other ODM addictions :cheeky: Maybe, One Day...

:beer: Doc