News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Research in - Order of Glory 3rd Class

Hi Gents,

Haven't had much time to myself recently, but managed to pop this research on the scanner which came in on a Glory 3rd I bought in cheltenham a few years back.

The chap in question seems to have been awarded just this medal (or do campaign medals often get left out?). Issue number is 677891.

I haven't got a translation and my learning Russian is going very slowly, so as ever any help from the members here would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Gilbert

Edited by deptfordboy

Dear Gilbert,

these are very interesting documents!

As we can read, the comrade received his Glory 3cl s/n. 677.891 in december 1943 instead of a "Medal for Valour", as listed in the citation.

So he had to be one of the very first soldiers to receive an Order of Glory, which dosen't correspond with the rather high serial number of the award.

Maybe there might be something wrong with the year 1943 :unsure: .

Seems to be a case for our experts :beer: .

Best regards

Christian

Guest Rick Research

VERY nice indeed!!!!

Nikolai Dmitrrievich Skvortsov was born in the village of Staroe Selo, Orekhovsky Raion, Kostromsky Oblast in 1925.

Russian, basic education, not a Party member.

Called up into Red Army at Orel RVK, Yaroslavsky Oblast on 24 January 1943 to February 1945 (which suggests discharge as war invalid to me). At front since September 1943.

Citation as Rifleman-Signaller on the staff of SKI Battalion's detached 2nd Company in 84th Rifles Division.

He was put in for a Valour Medal on 21 December 1943 but authorized Glory 3rd instead on 27.12.43. Next of kin was his mother, Pavla Dmitrievna Skvortsov, in the home village.

His 31 May 1952 Award Record Card shows him back in his home village "unemployed at this time."

What 18 year old Comrade S. diiiiiiiiid was

at the risk of his own life, saved the life of his commander under heavy machine gun fire during an enemy counterattack.

:beer:

Is there any information on the reverse (other than the notes of the archivist) regarding the For Valor medal being upgraded to the Glory?

A feeling I have about this is that he might have initially been awarded a For Valor medal, but was upgraded later. Could be that he never recieved his For Valor medal and it was upgraded, or he received it and it was later exchanged (or perhaps it could have been lost when he was wounded or invalided out...) There's an odd gap between the 27 December 1943 prikaz from the unit and the fact that the award wasn't given to him until nearly ten years later, so there might be some good theories out there.

Incidentally, on late "catch up" award cards (like this one) I have rarely ever seen them with the campaign awards. Normally, they just have the person's medal. Sometimes, they might include any/all others medals they received, or it might be an entirely separate award card.

Dave

Many thanks for the help Guys, as ever!

I'm pleased that this has turned out to be a 'solid' Glory, the fact that it was awarded 1943 encouraged me, and it seems in general I have been quite lucky with my limited research so far :)

Dave, I don't remember seeing anything more on the reverse of the card but will double-check at the weekend. When I commission a full translation I will of course share the results here.

Cheers

Gilbert

PS - it is sobering how much research I have to soldiers of all nationalities and over a number of conflicts, who performed heroic deeds but were deemed to have no 'useful function' back in civvie life. In the days before combat stress was recognised, one can only imagine how they 'self-medicated' or did whatever it took to keep on...

Edited by deptfordboy