News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK awarded after the war

Found this scan on one of my old drives, can't remember were I got it from.

Interesting date Is this a real award of an Iron Cross? Has anyone seen or heard that EK's were awarded after the War?

Regards, Hardy

[attachmentid=63417]

Edited by Naxos

Dem Zahlmeister Walter Otto, geboren am 13. Februar 1892

zu Hamburg, Kreis und Hansestadt Hamburg

Versorgungs Wehrkreiskommando II Stettin 28. Januar 1920 IIa 1640

Hamburg den 21. Februar 1921

Generalmajor a.D. von ??

Regards Hardy

Dem Zahlmeister Walter Otto, geboren am 13. Februar 1892

zu Hamburg, Kreis und Hansestadt Hamburg

Versorgungs Wehrkreiskommando II Stettin 28. Januar 1920 IIa 1640

Hamburg den 21. Februar 1921

Generalmajor a.D. von ??

Regards Hardy

Thanks, Hardy

"For supplying military command". This is clearly for post-war action. Possiby Freikorps?

Thanks, Hardy

"For supplying military command". This is clearly for post-war action. Possiby Freikorps?

Tom, the EK was not awarded for "supplying military command" but by the the Supply Depot of Military Command II

Regards, Hardy

Edited by Naxos

Guest Rick Research

That says "FREE and Hanseatic City of Hamburg."

Tom-- I can't read the General's pencil signature-- it is too light. It looks like it should be neat enough to be legible except for the contrast.

Aside from a paymaster having an EK1 at all (like my later admiral), what is intersting is that your Otto was apparently thye ZM Otto of the Regiment Garde du Corps who was in the Reichsheer as of 1926 (Honor Rank List). I'll see what else I can find-- you may want to start a new separate thread on him.

99.999% of postwar EKs were delayed "catch up" awards, that's all. Some were, quite improperly, made for Baltic Freikorps action (as were wound badge awards). Though improper and indeed illegal, those miniscule cases were accepted for later wear.

We have had numerous discussions with scans of postwar EK documents. For the noncombatant varieties, for example, do a search on "white-black" and those should turn up. Maybe "Sprungmann" or "D?hring" (copy and paste the name in for the search box if you don't know how to get German accent marks on your keyboard) will work quicker, since "white black" or variants won't show up with a hyphen in the search box.

Guest Rick Research

Nope. :cheeky:

Maybe Glenn can tell.

I've been trying to find Otto in my newspaper-paper crumbly 1923/24 Reichswehr Einteilung, and haven't spotted him yet-- no index. :( Paymasters and other Beamten were NOT listed in the usual annual ranglisten during the Weimar period.

I didn't turn him up as still in the army in the secret May 1939 Beamten Liste.

But there was only the ONE "Zahlmeister Otto," so that's the Rgt GdC one, Honor Rank List showed still in that rank (probably commissioned that in 1918) in 1926.