News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Vietnam show and tell

Simon F

I have developed a recent passion for the Vietnam era and am underway selling off some of my TR to fund this. I cant get enough of this stuff! I have started with US uniforms but would like to branch out as time and money permits. I know there is a thread going on another forum, but I wondered if anybody else here collects any VN militaria and whether they would show their pieces here?

Here is my first buy, an early US Advisors uniform set (jacket and cap) named to Capt "Red" Bonnette with MACV patch and Ranger arc.

Guest Rick Research

My uncle had his "best" greens starched at the Saigon airport on his way home in 1967 and they are still flat as the day they were done. Something which he took to be goat's milk was spit out onto them as they were ironed on the spot.

There is absolutely no smell or icky fungal growth, so dunno what the actual substance was.

Ye gads! Really feeling old now! People are really collecting the stuff we used!

Thank goodness for Chuck in Oregon or I'd be even more demoralized!!!

By the way - the arc is properly termed the Ranger Tab.

Enjoy!

wem

wem many thanks for picking up on that for me it had been a long day :rolleyes:

Rich, great berets/hats I love that ARVN ranger :love: thanks for showing them here.

Here is my Air Cav fatigue shirt with 24th ID as previous unit and 2nd award CIB

Edited by devonrex2003

Ye gads! Really feeling old now! People are really collecting the stuff we used!

Thank goodness for Chuck in Oregon or I'd be even more demoralized!!!

In answer to your question wem I believe there is a small and dedicated following for VN era militaria. There are also some fairly dedicated dealer sites which supply VN/Indochina stuff. You would probably be suprised at the prices for some of the high end gear especially in regards to SF/SOG, ARVN rangers, etc. Some of the badges alone for Recon Teams/Hatchet Forces can range around the $400 - $450 mark.

There really is a lot to get your teeth into with just the American stuff, let alone other nations Cambodia/Australia/Laos not to mention North Vietnam/Viet Cong, French from the first Indochina war.

There are also lots of variations for camo, duck hunter/tiger stripes all with their own different types/variations/weights

Jungle kit comes in models 1st/2nd/3rd, nonripstop/ripstop. It is really very interesting stuff, the list goes on. I am by no means an expert and am learning as I go along. I am lucky enough to have a know a guy in the UK to answer my bone questions for me (which are alot):unsure:

It would be really interesting to hear from any of the old salts, units served in, etc although I am well aware that it is deeply personal stuff

Edited by devonrex2003

devonrex2003,Thanks! I can post pics of my "tour" jackets also. The A.R.V.N. Ranger beret came from the guy that brought it back.He traded his hat for it.The guy was a "Duster" crewmember. He sold me it and all the other stuff he had brought back. His 3 daughters do not care. It was $40. He was set up at the flea market.Got this stuff at the flea markets.Shame to hear that you are getting rid of your T.R. stuff for 'Nam stuff. To me T.R. stuff is better than money. I would never sell my T.R. stuff. I'd get rid of my U.S., Italian and Jap stuff first. Rich A.

Rich thanks for the comments. I would love to see your tour jackets. $40 is an absoloute steel with this kind of stuff.

Unfortunately Rich with a new baby in the house I need to sell to buy. I didn't think I could get rid of my TR either but I am dismayed at the prices; the fakes and the attitude of some collectors/dealers (that in no way applies to anybody on this forum) and this is only my opinion; I dont wish to debate it here.

There seems to be more camaraderie surrounding VN and more people are willing to help, that means more to me than my TR collection. I will keep some of my fave stuff, but the rest goes.

The dealers/collectors I've talked to have all been fantastic and most US dealers will assist with postage, etc to enable you to get that nice item shipped, so no competition for me.

devonrex2003,I'll dig the jackets out and do a pic later. Shame you are getting rid of your T.R. stuff though.Hope you are getting a fair value for it. Almost all of my collection came from flea markets, yard sales,house sales,estate sales and thrift stores, nothing from any internet dealers and very little from gun shows. A month or so ago I got a splinter pattern non-reversable padded winter coat for $5.98 at the thrift store.The coat fits me and I wear it sometimes. My felt ersatz'Haube was $116 at the thrift store.Few weeks ago I got a 95cm&90cm belts,Heers buckle w/tab,Army property spoon & Luft. mess knife for $55 at the flea market. I hear about the attitude of dealers but so what? Let them have the attitude and their product. Just do not spend any money there. Nobody spends there they go out of business. That is good. Years ago when I worked in this field full time(helping a friend at his Army/Navy store) I learned that you buy the item. Not the story. Rich A.

OK ? one old guy?s report.

Call sign(s): Sabre 25 then Sabre Red.

In country - April 72 to April 73.

Assigned to Aeroweapons Platoon, Troop F, 9th Cavalry

F-9 deployed to Vietnam as part of the 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry (Air) along with the full 1st Cavalry Division in 1965. F-9?s designation was originally Troop B, 1-9 Cav but was redesignated to F-9 when the troop was selected to remain in country after the redeployment of the 1st Cav, Division to the US in 1971. The troop was first assigned to the 3rd Brigade (Separate), 1st Cavalry Division until June of 1972 and then to Task Force Gary Owen and finally the 12th Combat Aviation Group, 1st Aviation Brigade where it remained until the ?End of Hostilities? in the spring of 1973. The troop was stationed in III Corps throughout the time of my assignment (flew with this troop the day the cease-fire was announced).

Duties, AH-1G (Cobra) co-pilot then aircraft commander/section leader then platoon leader (hence call sign change).

Arrival date coincident with first documented heat seeking surface to air missile launch against US helicopter. Wasn?t me thankfully however it was on numerous other occasions ? I stand as living testimony to the NVA?s poor marksmanship with this weapon?

I consider myself to be a very lucky man to have served with this heroic unit.

Last month in country spent driving a Huey around for the ICCS as part of the post-war command and control scheme carrying international military personnel from Hungary, Poland, Indonesia and Canada.

It would be really interesting to hear from any of the old salts, units served in, etc although I am well aware that it is deeply personal stuff

Guest Rick Research

Locally produced "American" ribbons for Guess Which Year?

hint:

Very nicely made patch from my uncle's Seabees unit, 1966-67, Naval Support Activity, Danang, Republic of Viet Nam, Public Works Transportation Taxi:

Most of the guys were WW2 retreads, and it was a bizarre mixture of heavy earth grader, ordnance transport, and Official Sedan literal TAXI duties.

Perhaps not "exotic" enough to be worth the fakers effort yet, but given the pandemic of fraudulent patches out there, I'll omit the reverse side just in case. :rolleyes:

This is a Vietnam era "John Ek Commando Knife" This particular one is named to

a captain in the 5th SF. It was returned to the Ek factory because the Captain wanted

to replace it with one with a crossguard. I bought it from John Ek's son.

WOW!! Guys great items, thanks for sharing those.

Wem what a brilliant insight! I bet flying in Cobras and then Huey's were two completely different flying experiences without stating the obvious!!?? :rolleyes:

Here is the long sleeved fatigue to my SF guy there are a couple of his other uniforms and beret in other collections (about 4 I think including mine) nice coloured badges.

Edited by Simon F

Hi Folks, I too collect Viet Nam gear,mostly uniforms and webbing.

Heres a couple of set ups from my site.

Firstly Aussie PRC25 radioman

Next a 4/19 PWLH M113 APC Crew commander

974613d6d.jpg

and a Duntroon Millitary College Dress Blues

88697254b.jpg

next a doctors greens set

98581612e.jpg

plus a we cant forget Mr Victor Charlie

1062672560.jpg

My site for those that are interested

www.dsgrant.com