News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Awards to Markus Wolf

Gentlemen,

Col.-Gen. Markus Wolf died last month unexpected :( :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markus_Wolf

I have got copies of his personal records from the Stasi-Ministery (MfS) and figured out his Soviet Awards:

26.02.66: 20 yrs. Victory

08.05.70: GPW 2 cl

30.11.70: 100th birthday Lenin

26.06.73: Red Banner

31.01.75: Friendship of Nations

23.09.75: 30 yrs. Victory

11.03.81: Strenghtening of Fellowship of Arms Medal

08.02.85: Red Banner (no #2 !)

03.05.85: 40 yrs. Victory

A rather impressive list for a foreigner - and no "Birthday-Awards" ;) . Maybe his FoN and the second RB come close to his birthday at the 19th of january, but these two birthdays haven't been so-called "round" or "half-round" birthdays, when top-comrades usually received their Lenins, RBs, HSUs, RBLs, etc.

RB & FoN had been typical awards for meritorious comrades in the secret service.

Besides of these Soviet awards, comrade Wolf got the full range of all GDR-awards, some CSSR-awards and a lot of other foreign awards. Would be nice to see Wolf's complete group + all documents at the market ;) .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Books from Markus Wolf

Gentlemen,

comrade Wolf wrote also several books - about his life, the life of his friends, history and cooking (!) - and one had been translated into English:

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Without-Face-Mar...TF8&s=books

Best regards

Christian

BTW: F?r Deutsch Sprechende ist hier der Link zur Hauptrede auf Wolfs Begr?bnis, die sein langj?hriger Freund, der deutsche Filmemacher Manfred Wekwerth, am 25. November 2006 gehalten hat: http://www.kpoe.at/presseblick/1266.html .

• 2 months later...

All awards of Col.-Gen. Markus Wolf stolen :angry:

Would be nice to see Wolf's complete group + all documents at the market ;) .

Gentlemen,

what I wrote in my first posting about Wolf's awards might turn into reality sometimes.

In has last book (published a few weeks ago) Markus Wolf mentioned, that his parade uniform, with all orders and medals mounted, had been stolen from his office in the time just after the annexion of the GDR by the FRG. He suspects, that his awards are in the USA in a collection in Washington D.C. or Florida.

Christian

Markus Wolf's last book (only in German language):

The tombstone of the Wolf brothers (Konrad Wolf, 1st Lt. of the Red Army in the GPW and world famous filmdirector):

He suspects, that his awards are in the USA in a collection in Washington D.C. or Florida.

I'm curious as to what his proof is for that statement. I would assume that they'd be in Russia by now.

I'm curious as to what his proof is for that statement. I would assume that they'd be in Russia by now.

Dear Dave,

Markus Wolf writes about that topic on p. 62 - 63 in his last book.

He stated, that the only uniform he still haves is the white dinner-jacket and that he did not sell the orders and the other uniforms or gave them away as a present.

One normal uniforms without orders and medals he found in a museum in Florida, which belongs to a former CIA-officer, whom he knows personally. That uniform had been stolen from the former Stasi-headquarters in Berlin, Normannstrasse.

The parade-uniform with the complete collection of all orders and medals had been stolen from his private office-house ("Villa") in Berlin. After retirering as GDR's spy-chief the government gave him a house with two clerks for writing his book about the life of his filmdirector-brother Konrad Wolf.

Markus Wolf says about that uniform + medals, that in the USA there are some spy-museums, one of them in Washington D.C., with a lot of visitors and a special "Markus-Wolf-section".

On page XV of the book you find two photographs of Markus Wolf - in parade-uniform - receiving orders from Ulbricht and Honecker.

The two uniforms and the orders & medals in the USA are legal property of Andrea Wolf and the children, who keep all the documents and booklets.

The market value of the complete "Markus-Wolf-collection" (all orders + medals, documents, booklets, photographs (from the family) and the two uniforms) might be far beyond the USD 100k region, I assume. Markus Wolf had not been one of thousends of generals from the Eastern Bloc, but he has been their greatest spy-chief.

Christian