News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mysterious 1930s Pioneer Straps

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Here is a single of the unpiped old style used before the war, for Pioneer Battalion 16, Minden in Westphalia, 16th Infantry Division, Wehrkreis VI.

BUT-- what are the triple black cords, on a pre-war strap?

Guest Rick Research

I have seen similar SINGLE cords-- in varying colors-- in photos during the war, presumably indicating a battalion within a regiment at the front, when numbers had been done away with. But this was only a battalion sized unit, and this type strap was (theoretically anyway) phased out before the war:

These cords, which look a bit greenish enlarged in the scans, are actually pioneer black

Guest Rick Research

Next up, a pair from Pioneer Battalion 55...

:Cat-Scratch:

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

There was no Pioneer Battalion 55!!!!!!!!!

Yup: January 1939 and every Pioneer battalion from 1 to 62 is listed

EXCEPT for a conspicuously, notably, MISSING no pioneer unit of any type at all numbered 55!!!! :speechless1:

Guest Rick Research

Therefore these are only a figment of your imaginations!!!!! :shame::o

Obviously, I am deeply out of my depth on war's-brink OoB or these belonged to the Ultra Super Secret....

??????????????????????

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent boards, the 55 are a mystery and require some research.

I especially like the 16 board, I am currently researching and writing a book about the 16. Pz.Pi.Btl, and am also covering the 16. pre-war units.

If you ever part with the 16 board please let me know, I am extremely interested in it.

Here are a couple of 16 I have that are similar.

Steve

Guest Rick Research

Any idea what the cords at the shoulder end are supposed to be for? It can't be to indicate "3rd Company" since the buttons had the company number.

• 1 year later...
    Guest Rick Research

I can't believe it has been over a year and the combined global wisdom of the internet has come up .......

Oh well then. Time for "16" to go to its Best Home.

:cheers: Sal

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

I do hope it GOT there, mailed on the 8th in an interlude between blizzards and ice storms.... :rolleyes:

Meanwhile... Mystery Unresolved concerning the "invisible" Pioneer Battalion 55.

• 1 year later...
    Guest Rick Research

In the THREE YEARS subsequent to posting these originally, NO information whatsoever has come to light on ANY black Waffenfarbe'd unit numbered 55.

NO Pionier Bataillon 55. NO railway pioneers 55, mountain pioneers 55, fortress pioneers 55. Nooooooooo Black 55.

We have subsequently turned up Stellenlisten for October 1937 and October 1935--- and "55" is jumped right over.

The authoritative, all inclusive multi-volume set on German formations 1815-1939... skips right over ANY "blacK" piped Unit 55.

These NOT being a figment of my imagination and from the source, unquestionabvly "vet bring back"

WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY? :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: :speechless1:

Edited by Rick Research

Bau-Pionier-Bataillon 55 ?

wurde bei der Mobilmachung am 26. August 1939 im Wehrkreis V aufgestellt....

I know their Waffenfarbe was brown in the begining but ....

Source: Lexikon der Wehrmacht: http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/Pioniere.htm

Edited by Naxos

Chris, the PB16 LT. sounds nice, I am looking for ANYTHING pertaing to Pionier / Panzer-Pioniere Bataillon 16. I also collect 16. Panzer-Division.

Here is another pair of boards from the 16th, from Infantry-Regiment 79, later Pz.Gren.79. One of them has a red cord around it.

Steve

P.S. I still like those 55's!

Sorry for some reason it will not let me upload the picture,

Steve

Edited by panzerpioniere