News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

I've got Gr?ner's two volumes on German warships 1815-1945, but that only goes down to minesweepers and net tenders and does not get into the TRULY "little boats" like your Outpost Patrol Vessel 411.

The ill-fated L?tjens was wearing THREE hats at that time:

Commander of the Fleet, Commander of the looming "Operation Sea Lion" and Commander of Western Sea Defenses.

Chances are little VPB 411 was screening a harbor in the Channel-- this was only a week before the invasion of Britain was "indefinitely postponed" and there would have been QUITE a bit of activity there, my best guess.

In case you hadn't seen this

Link

Hello Simon.

Thank you for the link. Very interesting to see that the little ships got there due consideration. I had a quick look earlier at a quick reference book about the German Surface units of the K.M. in which they were listed but only in somewhat condensed fashion. But it is very apparent what high losses they incurred.

Bernhard H. Holst