News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

Do you have any information about the Humanitarian Peacekeeping Medal, established supposedly in 1999, and the Northern Ireland Home Service Medal? Both medals have been mentioned in the Medal Yearbook, but I am not able to find any further information about either of them. I believe they are both virtual and have never been actually manufactured.

Thanks for any information,

Lukasz

Tha humanitarian medal is, apparently, still under discussion, though the new medal for "reconstruction" in Iraq seems to reduce some of its usefulness.

Havn't heard much about the Irish medal, though I know it has been discussed, with the closing of the "Northern Ireland" clasp to the GSM.

The Northern Ireland Home Service Medal replaced the UDR Medal following the amalgamation of the Ulster Defence Regiment with the Royal Irish Rangers to form the Royal Irish Regiment - the former UDR battalions forming the Home Service component of the new regiment. The medal was for the part-time personnel of the regiment for twelve years' service, full-time staff receiving the Military LS&GC Regular Army for fifteen. The criteria for award are the same as the old UDR Medal. The HS battalions have now been disbanded and the medal is defunct.

Edited by Tony Farrell

Thanks a lot! A most valuable information indeed :jumping:

I have made an image of the ribbon uk1mhsni.gif, but I have never seen the actual medal. Would you please send a photo of the reverse? What is the bar on the ribbon for?

And just one more question if I could: do you know when the HS battalions were disbanded?

Cheers,

Lukasz

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski