News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oldenburg EM Medal Bar group with Turkish connection

Gentlemen,

I acquired this group this past weekend. There is a possibly homemade medal bar of an enlisted Oldenburger who served with the Turkish forces in WW1. The medal Bar contains the EK2, Oldenburg Merit Cross and the ribbon for his Turkish war medal. Included with the group is his

cut-out Black wound badge and his TWM with the name "V. Busch" scratched on the back. Since the armed forces of Oldenburg were rather small, I am hoping one of you may be able to come up with a Unit ID for him. Here is his medal bar.

DSCN1908.jpg

DSCN1909.jpg

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Guest Rick Research

Oldenburg's rolls exist-- but you'd have to go there to get them. Nobody has copies or is working on transcriptions that I am aware of.

I suppose it is possible that there were stray Oldenburgers in the small army units that ended up in the Turkish sectors, but any Oldenburg/Turkish group I have seen was naval. The dark blue backing on your bar would seem to bear that out-- very possibly made during the war while still there since the "Goeben" and "Breslau" crews often turned out in full dress on parades.

A lot of naval personnel ended up with army wound badges for Freikorps service in Silesia in 1919, but there is no Silesian Eagle here.

While "yucky" like the issued Turkish War Medal stars, the pin construction on this one leads me to think it is one of the unusual very close German duplicates, more 1930+ than earlier at a guess.