News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW I EK II

Hello Gentlemen,

I have just finished rehabilitating a WW I EK II that came to my collection in damaged condition. When I got this Iron Cross it was missing the ribbon and ribbon ring and there was a "V" shaped crack bteween the "W" and "1914. The "V" was horizontal pointing to the viewer's right. Since the black iron portion was separate of the outer boarder I could move the two larger parts away from each other and leave a "V" shaped space around the smaller piece. I took a very small drop of epoxy on a fine needle and put one drop in the crack on both sides of the "V". after this set the broken piece was secure. I then took black boot polish, the wax type, and rubbed it into the crack and surrounding area. The result was better than I had hoped. I tried to photograph it so you could see the repair but it is difficult to make out. It shows up better on the reverse as the crack went through the oak leaves' stem. I then manufactured a new ring from steel wire using a correct sized mandrel. There was no need to solder the ring as it was to be coverd by the ribbon. Please excuse the mounting, I know it is incorrect, I just liked it this way. I quite often give a home to an item that has seen better days as they are pieces that should be preserved. I think that any repair should be reversable if at some time another collector wishes to return it to "as found condition" and I don't think you should repaire anything to the point that it could pass as undamaged. I hope you like my rehabilitated EK II.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Frankly, I have nothing against the cracked ones. A purest who wants mint items may scoff at them, but I think it gives them a bit of character. I have one where the core is cracked into about 6-7 pieces, but the frame shows no damage. I thought it was interesting, it was a maker that I did not have and the price was right. To each his own. From the looks of things you did a fine job.

Dan

Hallo Brian, :beer:

Fine job, as its your personal choice to do this, then no problems, :jumping: its the little ebay monkeys who make repairs and try to sell with no declaration that anoy me.

I am lucky enough to have 30 EK II's, all in good condition apart from one which has seperated from the ribbon ring, which is so tightly sewn under the ribbons that only by dismanteling the bar can the ring be recovered.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

:Cat-Scratch:

Now that you've gone this far, consider dunking it in some of that new-fangled "guaranteed not to harm your heirlooms" liquid silver polish and see how that works. I've always wanted to do that... I wanna see one all minty and shiny! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

:Cat-Scratch:

Now that you've gone this far, consider dunking it in some of that new-fangled "guaranteed not to harm your heirlooms" liquid silver polish and see how that works. I've always wanted to do that... I wanna see one all minty and shiny! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Oh, I think I will stop where I am with this medal. The small triangle that I secured was in danger of falling out. It was a matter of fix it or risk the piece getting lost.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian