News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ROMANIA 1941 KING MICHAEL R.C. AWARD.

Hallo Gents, :beer:

Last Saturday I attended the Collectors Meeting in Brasov, Centeral Romania, it was a well attended event but items of Militaria interest were scarce and the prices very high!.

I picked up the following piece, issued under the reign of King Mihai I / King Michael I. who was the last King of Romania.

This was issued I believe to Romanian Nursing Sisters of the Red Cross who were helping to nurse Romanian and German War Wounded in the combat against Communisum.

:jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

The piece is 38mm by 38mm, in red enamel, the upper arm has a crown, and the center design is formed by 4 joined

"M"s* , the letter "C" and "R" are on the left and right cross arms, and the lower arm carries the institution date of 1941.

To the rear is a verticle pin back broach, the left arm rear bears the issue number: 2206 and the right rear arm carries the words "MONETARIA NATIONAL". / NATIONAL MINT.

This example has a stress fracture under the enamel, between the letter "C" and "M"*.

There was also a mini version for wear with civil attire.

* Please see: Post 3 below.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

...the upper arm has a crown, and the center design is formed by 4 joined "M"s...

Nice badge, Kevin. One small note though: those are not "M"s, but "E"s. They form the crowned cipher of Queen Elena (the mother of King Mihai).

Edited by Carol I

Nice badge, Kevin. But those are not "M"s, but "E"s. They form the crowned cipher of Queen Elena (the mother of King Mihai).

Hallo Carol I, :beer:

many thanks for the information, I took them to be "M"s, as Royalty has a rather perculiar habit of putting their cyphers and intials on their awards :P

Kevin in Deva :beer:

This was issued I believe to Romanian Nursing Sisters of the Red Cross who were helping to nurse Romanian and German War Wounded in the combat against Communisum.

Browsing through the files in my computer I have stumbled upon this image of a certificate for this badge from an auction of La Galerie Numismatique. The decoration was called "The Distinction Sign of the National Red Cross Society". The text on the certificate reads:

"National Red Cross Society of Romania

Certificate for the Distinction Sign

The distinction sign was awarded to [name missing] for the contribution brought to the works of the National Red Cross Society."

galnum365hy2.jpg

Hallo Carol I, :cheers:

very nice document and award, :jumping:

a friend of mine recently bought these documents from a dealer in Buchurest. But unfortunatly no badge.

With a very early number 229. Nice to see the face behind the name.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Nice to see the face behind the name.

It is indeed nice to see the face and the name. I wonder why La Galerie Numismatique digitally erases the name of the awardees from the certificates they sell (you may take a look in posts #10, #13 and #14 in Romanian fourrageres to see that the certificate above was not a singular case).

It is indeed nice to see the face and the name. I wonder why La Galerie Numismatique digitally erases the name of the awardees from the certificates they sell (you may take a look in posts #10, #13 and #14 in Romanian fourrageres to see that the certificate above was not a singular case).

Hi Carol I,

its probably a throw back to the old regime here, but it is surprising how many people still do not want to talk about what they did or the parents did during WW2 (and what others did post 1947 - 1989!! :speechless1: ) there still a lot of suspicion & secrets out there.

:shame: With regards "L.G.N." I would advise any members who are contemplating having any dealings, to check the items very carefuly before parting with any cash, as all that glitters is not gold. :shame:

As was pointed out at his recent auction in the USA there were quite a few mistakes in his item descriptions and the fact that when notified, well in advance of the auction, he made no attempt to change them.

I notice L. G. M. often take a table at the Brasov Collectors Meetings, and usually there is a lot of "eye-candy" all priced in Euros and at such big prices that less than 5% of the crowd who visits the show could aford to buy them.

Kevin in Deva. :beer: