News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Egypt & Khedive's Star pair

Hello All,

When I started collecting a number of years ago I was really impressed with the Khedive's Star, for whatever reason I am not sure. However, I am still fond of them. Here is a nice pair from the Egyptian campaign.

Egypt Medal 1882-1889

1882 issue, early campaigns

Khedive's Star 1882,

for action at Tel-el-Kebir 13th Sept. 1882

awarded to,

127 Pte. T. COUPE

1/ SHROPSHIRE: L.I.

Cheers

Brian

Here is the reverse of the Egypt pair. I purchased this pair from a reputable dealer and though the Khedive's Star is unnamed I believe them to be an authentic pair. There are marks on the Egypt Medal that correspond to the Khedive's Star but then again that could have been made by a similar star and any marks on the edge of the star could have been made by another medal.

Cheers

Brian

Nice pair. Are they both named or just the British medal?

EDIT: Oh, you answered as I was posting.

Nice, but a shame the Egypt has been over-polished. At least not dipped as some dealers do.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Nice, but a shame the Egypt has been over-polished. At least not dipped as some dealers do.

Hi Ed,

Actually I meant to mention that I think this medal was plated. There was a small area where the original silver was showing. I dipped it in silver cleaner (I don't often do this) to brighten the original medal and thereby hiding up the plating job a little. :blush:

Cheers

Brian

Is it over polished? The detail looks crisp on my box, but lots of contact blemishes & small scratches.

I never realised that silver medals would be silver plated, does the plating reduce tarnish & the need to clean in some way?

And why would dealers do that, is it to hide blemishes?

Is it over polished? The detail looks crisp on my box, but lots of contact blemishes & small scratches.

I never realised that silver medals would be silver plated, does the plating reduce tarnish & the need to clean in some way?

And why would dealers do that, is it to hide blemishes?

Hi Leigh,

The dealer is more of a collector than dealer and he purchased it plated. He is an elderly fellow (even by my standards) and has been a collector for probably close to 50 years. It is his opinion that the original owner has had them plated so that they would not tarnish. There is still really good detail but you are correct there are a lot of contact blemishes and small scratches. You can see where the Khedive's Star has left its mark on the medal.

Cheers

Brian