News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian X Years Military Service Cross

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Found these at a show today and could not resist--

a Boris III issue NCOs' X Years Service Cross (not sure if this is being worn correct obverse up?)

But is the X not supposed to be SILVER colored, and the XX gilded? This is gilt but bears an "X!"

Guest Rick Research

And the 1912-1913 Medal for a combatant of the first two Balkans Wars-- the first I've ever had in my paws!

The 1915-1918 World War medals (gold with red and green reversed ribbon colors) are often found in German groups, but not this one, obviously.

Hallo Rick,

Very nice :jumping::jumping:

here is my silver for comparison. Not sure about my ribbon though but thats what came with it.

Appears to be in real silver, but no marks that I can make out.

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Found these at a show today and could not resist--

a Boris III issue NCOs' X Years Service Cross (not sure if this is being worn correct obverse up?)

But is the X not supposed to be SILVER colored, and the XX gilded? This is gilt but bears an "X!"

It is OK! The Boris III type (which is on the photo) for 10-year service was in gilt bronze for non-commissioned ranks. Officers had the same type of cross, but in silver.

Cheers,

Lukasz

Guest Rick Research

Ah! So Kev's is an officer's? Whew! I'm glad to learn mine is OK! :cheers: I know these look horrible from the scans (though NOTHING is as cheap and nasty looking as the Bulgarian Soldiers' Crosses for Bravery :speechless1: ) but I'm sure Kev's is as nice as mine is, in the hand.

The finish, and finishing, is actually quite nice, and although starting to get spotty now after 60+ years, I won't try anything to clean this lest it remove what is quite decent matte gilt finish.

Does the lion's side or the initial "B" go on front?

Ah! So Kev's is an officer's? Whew! I'm glad to learn mine is OK! :cheers: I know these look horrible from the scans (though NOTHING is as cheap and nasty looking as the Bulgarian Soldiers' Crosses for Bravery :speechless1: ) but I'm sure Kev's is as nice as mine is, in the hand.

The finish, and finishing, is actually quite nice, and although starting to get spotty now after 60+ years, I won't try anything to clean this lest it remove what is quite decent matte gilt finish.

Kev - congratulations on your officer rank, Rick - congratulations too and wish you getting promoted to officer asap!!!

Lukasz :beer:

BTW: the lion should go to the back.

Typical finish on these 1915 Bravery Crosses, as mentioned by Rick, again the Silver appears to be in real silver and the other is lighter base metal in gold-gilt. A nice thank you for putting your neck on the line for your country :P

Also can be found on German WW1 era bars as well.

Kevin in Deva