News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch Ribbonbar with foreign awards

the last one with the palm and 3 stripes on each side is the belgian war cross with palm.

the other one might be the legion of merit, thus this could be leegstra.

Edited by Jacky

the last one with the palm and 3 stripes on each side is the belgian war cross with palm.

the other one might be the legion of merit, thus this could be leegstra.

Leegstra was awarded the Legionnaire Class of the Legion of Merit in 1945. He was an Army-flyer by the way and I can't find him on any list for the Belgian Croix-de-Guerre! And I guess the first ribbon on the second row is either a Belgian Leopolds Order of Order of the Crown with palm.

@ Herr General: could you please e-mail me a 300 dpi version of this picture? I have an update lying for my article on Dutchman, decorated with the Belgian Croix-de-Guerre and I would really love to use this picture!

Edited by ErikMuller

Leegstra was awarded the Legionnaire Class of the Legion of Merit in 1945. He was an Army-flyer by the way and I can't find him on any list for the Belgian Croix-de-Guerre! And I guess the first ribbon on the second row is either a Belgian Leopolds Order of Order of the Crown with palm.

@ Herr General: could you please e-mail me a 300 dpi version of this picture? I have an update lying for my article on Dutchman, decorated with the Belgian Croix-de-Guerre and I would really love to use this picture!

I checked the book "De Schakel" in which is the famous picture of Leegstra, Beelaerts van Blokland, Boomsma, Lindeman, Vos and Steen after their daring escape to England. This could indeed be Leegstra, although the picture must have been taken some 10 years later.

Strange that he switched from the Army to the Navy. He was appointed Head of the Aviation Department of the Netherlands Purchasing Commission in America in 1943 and - as far as I could find - he stayed there till late 1945. The connection with Belgium and the Indies (Star for Order and Peace), is lost to me.

After the war he worked with the K.L.M. and retired on 1 January, 1975.

Thanks Jacky and Erik for your reactions.

I found a number of persons in Mr Meijers book about the flying cross that recevied the Leopoldsorder or Order of the Crown with palm together with there Belgian Croix-de-Guerre.

26 persons received the Flying cross with the numeral "2", but one of them also received the British DFC. So there are 25 possibilities. Maybe I will be able to take a few of the list by looking again in The flying Cross book and on Erik his site!

Erik, of course you may use this picture. I'm still in the process of buying it but I will mail you a scan asap,

His decorations are listed as;

Knight Netherlands Lion

Officer Orange Nassau with swords

Flying Cross, with numeral 2

War commemorative cross with 3 clasps

Order & Peace, with 2 yearclasps

Officer Long service cross with numeral 15

Marriage-medal 1966

PA2???

BK 4p???

Belgian War Cross with Palm

MNSD???

His name is J. L. Den Hollander. I didn't spot the "Den"

Here he is again:

1962-broeze.jpg

In 1962 wordt als "beste kadet van het jaar" uitgeroepen Jan Broeze van de groep Twente. De Szesze-trofee wordt door hem overhandigd door de vlag-officier der MLD Commandeur-Vliegen J.L. den Hollander.

http://www.jlbnl.nl/nieuwsbrief05.htm

Also:

Onderscheidingen 1962:

Commandeur-Vlieger J.L. den Hollander, lid van de Raad der JLB wordt door H.M. de Koningin benoemd tot officier in de orde van Oranje Nassau (met zwaarden).

Edited by Herr General

His decorations are listed as;

Knight Netherlands Lion

Officer Orange Nassau with swords

Flying Cross, with numeral 2

War commemorative cross with 3 clasps

Order & Peace, with 2 yearclasps

Officer Long service cross with numeral 15

Marriage-medal 1966

PA2???

BK 4p???

Belgian War Cross with Palm

MNSD???

PA.2 = Grand Officer of the Military Order of Aviz (Portugal)

BK.4p = should be KB.4p = Officer of the Order of the Crown with palm (Belgium)

MNSD = Medalha Naval de Servi?os Distintos (Brasil)

His War Commemorative Cross had the clasps 'Oorlogsvluchten 1940-1945' (War Flights 1940-1945), 'Oost-Azi? - Zuid-Pacific 1942-1945' (East Asia - South Pacifif 1942-1945) and 'Javazee 1941-1942' (Java Sea 1941-1942).

His Star for Order and Peace had the clasps '1948' and '1949'.

His very, very nice medalbar is featured in Henny Meijers book about the Flying Cross. I don't think I can place a scan here without breaking the copyright? but then again I think that most of the dutch members have this book! ( page 121 )

Erik, Do you know where Henny found al the medalbars in his book? Or are they all from his own collection :speechless:

His very, very nice medalbar is featured in Henny Meijers book about the Flying Cross. I don't think I can place a scan here without breaking the copyright? but then again I think that most of the dutch members have this book! ( page 121 )

Erik, Do you know where Henny found al the medalbars in his book? Or are they all from his own collection :speechless:

Henny only has one bar and that hasn't got a name (yet!).

A small collection of the shown bars is from the Rob Vis collection. Because Rob is a well known aviation expert he knowns a lot of people, who know a lot of people, who know people with Flying Crosses, that's how most of the medal bars were found :rolleyes:

And knowing a couple of medal collecting photographers finished the gathering of pictures for the Flying Cross book ;)

Thank you for the translation of the abbreviations.

Is there any picture of the unknown bar??

How do you know about this bar, by the way?

The medalbar is shown in the book "Het Vliegerkruis" (page 121). As a rule I don't post pictures from recently (last 30 years) published books, and certainly not out of books of friends, of whom I know don't like their copywrights to be infringed.

• 1 month later...