News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unmarked EK1 '800'

I'd like to bring this peice to you attention and ask for your thoughts on if you know the marker and if you think it is pre-1918 a 1920's or a 1930's piece.

The overall shape looks a bit TR but the back resembles no TR EK1 that I have ever seen. Marked 800 (upsidedown) just above the catch.

There is such variation on 1914 EK1's that I doubt we will ever know all the makers but interested to know your thoughts all the same.

The piece in question:

Hello

I've no idea as to the maker, (but I'll see if I can match it any over the week), but I would have said these are not pre 1918. This is only my opinion, (so please feel to to ignore me :cheeky:), but based on the styles of the fronts, and certainly in the case of the second one, the rear, I'd say these are Third Reich produced pieces. The pin on the first one is faintly reminiscent of both the Zimmermann / Godet pins from the WW2 EKs and some WW1 EKs I have seen !!

Edit:

I've just taken another look at the second EK posted. Has that pin been replaced or does it look like the original item ? I ask I have two Imperial EK1s in my collection, (see photos attached), whose hinges and catches don't look a million miles away from the second one that you posted.

Edited by DavidM

Edit:

I've just taken another look at the second EK posted. Has that pin been replaced or does it look like the original item ? I ask I have two Imperial EK1s in my collection, (see photos attached), whose hinges and catches don't look a million miles away from the second one that you posted.

David

I'd be fairly positive that none of the pins have been replaced. In fact regarding the 2nd one, I have 2 of these and both are identical in the pin style.

I have several EK1 1914 which exhibit similar hinge styles yet all diffferent pin styles (and several with different maker marks eg, FR, Fr, KO) so I guess the style of hinge was quite common.

Rich

Rich,

the first one you've shown above looks really like a TR made piece-the obverse and especially the thick rimming of the frame...

I haven't seen this variation before,but in this case I vote for TR.

The 2nd one has got the most common core of all-I think it's a private purchased piece that could be very good from the war.Post war pieces are often made of non magnetic metals in an obviously different style as the wartime pieces. I've got a lot of EKs with matching cores to your Nr2,flat and convex,some with straight pins,others with a kind of "Meybauer" pin.And not to forget about the screwbacks with the same core-To me they are wartime but private purchsaed!

Micha