News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting Austrian charm bracelet

Harvey

Look at the gold chain - I can make out (from left) unk (double-headed eagle), unk(Merit Cross?), Bravery Medal (FJ), Karl's Troop Cross, Military Merit Medal (Karl I), Tapferkeit Medal(?), Verdienstkreuz, and a Franz Joseph Order.

Any other expert eyes out there that can correct my observations? Also, how rare would it be for an individual to have *all* of the awards listed?

Thanks for the help -

Dave

Edited by Harvey

Dave,

That's not a charm bracelet, it's a miniature chain designed to be worn with civilian formal evening wear. Placing miniatures without ribbons on a chain has been very popular in Europe unlike the USA where they are usually mounted together with ribbons.

Guest Rick Research

Impossoble to say about the combination since it all doesn't show.

This is a lapel chain worn right side up, left side down on a lapel. So the awards furthest right are the senior ones:

Franz Joseph Order, Knight

Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration

Karl Signum Laudis in Silver

Karl Signum Laudis bronze with swords

? Gold Bravery Medal Franz Joseph

Karl WW1 Troop Cross

1912-13 Mobilization Cross

Thanks for all the info - :beer:

saschaw - you're right; it is part of the Order of St. Sava in front of it.

So, any idea of the rarity of all these awards belonging to one person? What type of rank/position would he have?

-Dave

• 2 years later...

Also, are these types of miniature awards ever named? Or would they be engraved with serial #'s, etc? Would there be any way to research the individual based on these awards alone, are are they too common?

Also, are these types of miniature awards ever named? Or would they be engraved with serial #'s, etc? Would there be any way to research the individual based on these awards alone, are are they too common?

There is no room to put any additional info such as name rank and number,on minitures.

Identification would be the same as for the large medal sets,

via medal award rolls or hopefully with any surviving documentation and pictures.

Unfortunately it is also possible for a person to fabricate a chain full of mini medals just by assembling the relevant pieces, not much different from some of the larger fantasy assemblies seen upon internet auctions.

Edited by Kev in Deva

Gentlemen,

I have hunted for pictures of a miniature medal chain, which I am sure I had at one time, but couldn't find it. Since we should have a betteer picture of what we are talking aboout in this thread, and to illustrate how easy it is would be to fabircate one as Kevin says, here is a picture of a model West German chain.

Regards,

Gordon

• 9 months later...

Thanks for posting that, Gordon.

So how would a discerning person be able to verify whether or not such a chain was indeed authentic? If genuine, how would one determine a fair price for such an assembly?

BTW, I found this at a bazaar in Istanbul several years ago - also for sale were 7 Orders of Lenin, which I believe were authentic, as well as a large number of other foreign military orders/badges - ranging from a Legion d'Honneur to an Order of Mejidie; quite an eclectic mix.

• 2 weeks later...

Harvey,

Sorry for being so slow in responding to your post. I've been in Calgary for the last three weeks doing some renovations on my daughter's home. As for authenticating one of these chains, that is very difficult. The best way is to find a chain with its matching full size orders and even then the set could be put together. Finding a chain with matching full sized orders is difficult to do. They always seem to be split up. Even more rare is to find a set that has had a box made up for the chain and the full sized orders. I have seen a couple of these but the case has never had a complete set of full size orders and a matching chain with it. Even incomplete they were expensive. As for pricing something like this, difficult to say. Chains are not that common and are sought after so they don't go cheaply. A price for a chain with matching orders would depend on what the full sized orders were. If the set was attributable to an individual the price would increase substatially. This has probably not been of much help in establishing a price for these chains but each one I have seen for sale has varied considerably in price. It all depends on what awards are present and who is bidding on the item. The best I can suggest is to figure out what you think is your top price and go with that. I've been looking for a chain for some time but don't have one as they have always gone for more than I have been willing to pay.

Regards,

Gordon