News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Amarican Naval Cutlass

Bear

Hello Dave,

It's similar to known examples from that period. Overall very crude, wood grip with a slightly curved blade. These were usually made in lots by a metal worker when a ship owner needed some weapons for his crew. I can't find any markings but I'll keep looking through the rust. I think that these kinda blades are not often marked.

thanks,

barry

Looks like a truly classic example of a Revolutionary War period cutlass of American manufacture.

Very nice indeed!

I was a Ranger with the National Park Service for several years at Valley Forge. During that time the NPS aquired George Neumann's entire collection of Rev War arms. I got to examine quite a few pieces very closely. I would be surprised if you found any markings on it, since I think that, as you said, most cutlasses used by the Americans were of the "home-made" (or ship-made) variety.

I see photos of a piece like this and that old phrase comes to mind:

"If these things could only talk!"

Thanks for sharing this item!

Hello,

I just ordered George Neumann's book 'Battle Weapons of the American Revolution'. When I get it I'll post some examples of other naval swords from the revolution.

thanks,

barry