News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Fellows,

The first time I started collecting was in the late 1960s and there were few if any counterfeit or "fantasy" medals on the market. There were medals that had been renamed but that has always been the way as soldiers would need to replace medals lost due to such mishaps as fire and theft. Today, as I start collecting all over again, it is a different matter. Counterfeit and fantasy medals seem to abound. On-line auctions, which should be a great source of medals, are inundated with copies offered as genuine. I managed to hold on to many of my older medals and should be safe in collecting, or re-collecting, the lower end medals. This, as you know, is no longer the case.

Several Imperial German medals have come into my possession in the past week and since I have never collected German I am at a loss as to whether they are original or just more sucker-bait. I have these on approval so if they turn out to be fakes I can return them and no harm done. If it is not too much to ask, could soem of the members versed in Imperial German medals give these a look over and advise me as to whether I should keep or return them?

The condition of the first bunch seems a little too good to believe. They appear to be unofficial medals struck to whip up support for the war effort. The dealer has told me that the ribbons are, for the most part, incorrect.

Thanks for taking a look and no need to be kind, let me know the truth. If I may borrow from an old saying, "the truth shall set them free", or at least back to the dealer's.

Cheers

:cheers:

Brian

Hello Brian:

Well, the good news is that they are all genuine pieces of period manufacture. The "bad" news is that none of them are official awards by a German State.

The first piece is an "Ehrenlegion" (Honor Legion) medal and is a post WWI veteran's organization piece, but is sometimes found in mounted groups.

The second piece is a commemorative medal of the German 9th Army Corps (also a post-WWI veteran's organization piece sometimes found in mounted groups).

The third piece looks like a Prussian IR 8 commemorative medal.

The others appear to be lesser-quality veteran's organization pieces. The ribbons for all as noted are probably not correct.

Don't pay a lot for these as they are not uncommon. They are however interesting collectibles.

Good luck with your possible acquisitions!

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Hello SPM,

Thanks. I have several other medals from Imperial Germany that I think are official issues. I was worried about these so I posted them first.

I hope I can post the others later. Some, I am told, go back to the Franco-Prissian War.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Brian

Hallo Brian, :cheers:

even though they are unofficial, and they hang on the wrong ribbon it looks like most of the ribbon pieces are original Iron Cross II Class ribbons :jumping:

Feel free to post pictures of what you need checked out please,

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Hallo Brian, :cheers:

even though they are unofficial, and they hang on the wrong ribbon it looks like most of the ribbon pieces are original Iron Cross II Class ribbons :jumping:

Feel free to post pictures of what you need checked out please,

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Hello Steve and Kevin,

Thanks very much for your help. I do have some more that I would like help with and I'll post them soon.

Cheers

Brian