News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hollow backed tinnies a question.

Robert has raised an interesting point for me which has made me wonder about the attachment of the pins to some hollow backed tinnies.

Many hollow backed tinnies that I have seen or owned have the pin attached by a rather crude solder method. Some I know are less crudely soldered and have a tin plate holding the pin on, much like most enamel membership pin badges. My query is, are the crudely soldered pins resoldered repairs done by a collector in recent years or even contemporary repairs done at the time or was/is this a recognised method of pin attachment as done originally by the manufacturer.

I have included some examples. I am eager to be pointed in the right direction I have always thought it was the latter. If is a repair job to me it is unlikely to be contemporary as unless the tinnie became an official or semi official award it was only worn for the event, so who would bother repairing something that would no tbe worn again ? which makes the modern repair the more likely, if thats what it is and not a crude manufacturing job.

The guy who sold me the Braunschweig tinnie said at the time that he thought the pin had been repaired. I wasn't bothered as I thought it was the method of manufacture. Please tell me if I have been misguided on this as I have been collecing tinnies for a number of years and I have a few of these hollow backed tinnies all with solder jobs. :blush:

The solder joints you show all appear to me to be period accepted quality! You will find the attachment points of pins on tinnies done in various methods.

Repair efforts when seen are usually quite obvious, in my opinion.

--dj--Joe

You will find the attachment points of pins on tinnies done in various methods.

I accept that, especially with the solid backed tinnies. However I really just wanted to query the hollow backed tinnies which seem to use solder as the main method of attachment. From what you are saying solder was a period method of attaching pins to hollow backed badges.

I think it is true that many of the hollow-backed tinnies used this soldering method as the manufacturing method as my collection also is mostly of this type of pin attachment for the hollow-back tinnies. The solid ones rarely use this method from what I have seen (and some of the ones I do have that are soldered have been determined to be fakes) as they mostly use the backplate style attachment. Nice Nurnberg tinnie by the way!

Cheers,

Pat

Gents I want to chime in here a little if I can. I show the reverse of my Colonialtag tinnie. This is a re-attachment of the pin. The reason I know this is that I had it re-attached after it was mailed to me with the pin off of it. I also have others that have been repaired that show over heating black burns on the fronts from gtting the piece too hot when repairing. I will show when time permits. Take care Robert

PS Nick perhaps scan 5 is a repair as the attaching pin is not completely vertical. To repair, one has to hold pin vertically and solder at the same time. Not the easiest thing to do IMHO.

Edited by BURGERHAUS

Gents Herr Schemm has a replaced attaching pin as well. Aside from the fact that the pin is off-center, the soldering iron got a little too close......hence the burn mark above and to the right of his ear. Take care Robert