News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SASR Coin

A special coin has been released by the Perth Mint to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Special Air Service Regiment. The coin was unveiled at Campbell Barracks by the Regiments Honourary Colonel, and former Commanding Officer, the Govenor General Major General Michael Jeffery(on the left). The other gent is Peter Unsworth, Chairman of the Perth Mint. Seen below is the unveiling of the over-size replica.

Regards;

Johnsy

Edited by Tiger-pie

Interesting is it gold?

Is it for general circulation?

The coin is 99.9% pure silver and is considered Australian legal tender to the value of one dollar (face value, the base metal is probably worth more at a guess), which includes coloured elements and the words AUSTRALIAN SAS 1957-2007, and also portrays the SAS badge incorporating the words WHO DARES WINS. No more than 7,500 of these coins will be released by The Perth Mint, that will be 6000 to the public and 1500 held in reserve for SAS members and the SASR Association. The coin will be accompanied by a numbered Certificate of Authenticity. All that for the princely sum of $78 dollars wallaby.

Edited by Tiger-pie

Nice coin!!!!

I can nver get my head round, why mints put a value on coins, where the base metal is worth far more. The US gold eagle coins are a classic example of this. Can anyone shine any light on this for me?

I have no idea, but it has been "Issued as legal tender under the Australian Currency Act 1965, the coin?s obverse depicts the Ian Rank-Broadley effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. "

Perhaps so it can be used in dire circumstances as legal tender? Bit like collecting stamps in that respect, stamps can be used or cashed in for their face value, though they are worth far more as a collectors item.

Regards;

Johnsy