News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sardinia shield from the 90.Pz.gren.div.

Gentlemen,

this is a ?Sardinienschild? - a shield for the field cap. It was worn by the members of the 90. Pz.gren.division.

I found it with the original paper for the soldbuch. Unfortunately the stamp is a little bit indistinct.

Is it rare ? Does it have any higher value ?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

Regards;

Flyingdutchman

What is the history of this insignia? Was it worn ON the island, or after the evacuation?

Gentlemen,

the 90. Panzergrenadierdivison arrived on Sardinia in June ?43 under the command of the XIV Armeekorps.

Commander of the 90. at this time was LtGen. Carl-Hans Lungershausen, the army commander of Sardinia and Corsica in ?43.

This unit was evacuated to Corsica in September ?43.

Units of the 90. Panzergrenadierdivision in that time (I?m not sure !):

-Panzergrenadier Regiment 155, 200 and 361

(361 was in my opinion a unit with former members of the Legion Etrangere - a probation unit !).

-Panzerabteilung 190,

-Artillerieregiment 190,

-Sturmgeschuetzabteilung 242 and

-Panzerjaegerkompanie 1.190.

BTW: Prince Claus of the Netherlands (1926 - 2002) was a soldier of this unit from ?44 on !

Interesting link to this unit:

http://axishistory.com/index.php?id=1337

I just can imagine that the shields were worn on Sardinia, but unfortunately I don?t have a proof for that. I don?t believe it was a shield dedicated to hard combats. There were non imo.

It would be great to see a picture from a soldier wearing this kind of shield during June and September ?43 on the isle.

Thanks all for help !

Regards;

Flyingdutchman