News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Indian ribbon

ilja559

The OMSA ribbon bank used to have stocks of all common post-1947 ribbons (and this would include all of these). I shall be "feeding" their supplies when I am back this summer.

A shame that the Sainya Seva Medal has had its clasp ripped off. Desecration!

Edited by Ed_Haynes

In May I'll be in Malta where there is an embroiderer who used to be subcontracted with manufacturing badges, ribbons, caps etc for the brits until the 70s. If you still have not got them by then I can try to help you out so long as you show me exactly what ribbons you will be needing. I know that the guy still has supplies as the Maltese Vets used to get their ribbon replacements until recently.

A pity indeed that these medals are missing their ribbons!

Jim :cheers:

(If u can resize your posted pic it would help as its mucking up the margins of the page.... at least on my computer ;) )

In May I'll be in Malta where there is an embroiderer who used to be subcontracted with manufacturing badges, ribbons, caps etc for the brits until the 70s. If you still have not got them by then I can try to help you out so long as you show me exactly what ribbons you will be needing. I know that the guy still has supplies as the Maltese Vets used to get their ribbon replacements until recently.

A pity indeed that these medals are missing their ribbons!

(If u can resize your posted pic it would help as its mucking up the margins of the page.... at least on my computer ;) )

Post-1947 Indian ribbons made in Malta? Somehow I doubt it, Jim!

Most Indian medals (pre- or post-1947) come to the market naked.

For the ribbons (not 100%, but 'close') see: http://www.medals.lava.pl/bc/in2.htm

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Post-1947 Indian ribbons made in Malta? Somehow I doubt it, Jim!

Hi Ed,

All I can say is that IF the ribbons were not manufactured there.... they were imported locally by them.

Considering the fact that the gents in question had an extremely wide choice of variety of BRITISH ribbons by the reel when I was a kid (including those that would have never been awarded to locals) and also had a reputation amongst the Vets as being the sole supplier to whom they would ever go to replace their ribbons, I would find it hardly surprising if they actually did manufacture them! Of course... I do not know if they had Indian Medals as I am not aware of those medals... but if the medals in question are BRITISH then there is a good chance of finding original Mint lengths of ribbon. If they are Indian and not British, then I doubt I can help...! But I can try.

Remember that as a British colony, Malta was exploited for its good workmanship and cheap prices at the time. Until we of course we decided we knew better (and kinda shot ourselves in the foot) and "threw" the Brits out (who may I add that after around 160 years or so were all too happy to leave!) :D

Rest assured however, that if I had any doubts that the guys in questions did not have genuine items I would not even have proposed them. After all, I started out collecting British items way back when....

Edited by JimZ

Again, I'd be quite AMAZED if he had any ribbons from the Republic of India. But, then, stranger things have happened.

Outside the high commission, I doubt there's much call for independent Indian ribbons in Malta, never has been.

Now, for British ribbons . . . sure. These old military tailors are joys, especially if you can entice them to dig into their lower drawers.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Nepal, Janapad Seva Padak (what it says on the obverse).

Awarded to civil service personnel for 15 years of service. Established 10 Pousha 2023 (25 December 1966) by King Mahendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Now, for British ribbons . . . sure. These old military tailors are joys, especially if you can entice them to dig into their lower drawers.

Oh yes!! Indeed. Not to side track on the thread but I once went into the guy's store room. It was :love: .Walked out with 2 unissued and mint pith helmets and a whole heap of badges as well as some ribbons of my own. All british! But you would never expect that behind a dingy door in a four storey buliding, that looks just like a large old house was a flock of tailors and sewing machines churning out what will one day be viewed (some of which already are) as lovely collectibles!