News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Legion of Honor

Daniel Cole

My question concerning the centers revolves around the 2 peices I have. One center is shiny like gold, the other looks more like a silver gilt. Both pieces are the 1870 dated pieces.

Can someone tell me about the centers? I have a picture of my cousin who was awarded the Legion of Honor in WWI. His center is missing in the period photo. I'm curious if it may have fell out, or if it was gold was it taken out?

I'll post photos when I get my scanner back up tonight.

Thanks,

Dan

I'll post photos when I get my scanner back up tonight.

Hello Dan,

That would be very helpful indeed ... won't see them till tomorrow with the time difference but I'll take a look then :-)

Also, please scan (or otherwise describe) the lower obverse of the crosses, where the wreath ends : that's usually the spot where any maker's marks etc. can be found.

Cheers,

Hendrik

I haven't been able to find a maker's stamp. I am only finding the smalll pin which I assume is holding the centers in place.

Hello Dan,

Those maker's marks are very tiny indeed (you would need a looking glass to find them) and I think there may be one or more on this part :

Obviously these decorations stem from different manufacturers - notice the differences in the leaves of the wreaths etc. and, not being at all an expert in these matters, I'd say the right one in your picture is the older of the two. As this "1870" type was awarded between 1870 and 1945, there would have been quite a number of variations.

The difference in colour of the centre pieces ... well, I don't know. At a guess and supposing both are silver gilt, I wonder if age and how and where the medal was kept can discolour the gilding to such an extent ... ?

Small pin holding the centres in place ??? I thought either glue or wax was used so can you elaborate on what pin you are referring to ?

More questions than answers I'm afraid !

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hello Hendrick,

I have looked on each piece with my 10x loop and do not see any maker marks of any kind.

The pins I am referring to are located just below the blue ring ant the 6 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions. I will try and get a close up with my digital camera. The little bump is the pin at the 6o'clock position in this enlargement.

The little bump is the pin at the 6o'clock position in this enlargement.

Hello Dan,

Me thinks this may be a repaired one ... there shouldn't be a pin there in normal circumstances.

Cheers,

Hendrik