News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Croix du Combattant Volontaire 1914-18

Megan

Hello Megan,

There's also a cross for 1939-45 : identical to the WWI type but for the reverse dates. Haven't a decent picture available right now but maybe another forum member will supply one ...

Cheers,

Hendrik

• 3 years later...

Well, another thread back from the dead. This one still eludes me and I have some questions on the WW1 types. Megan posted that shot above and looking at the suspension, I assume it is showing both types?

What I would like to know is two-fold;

1) Were both types offical, or are these examples from different makers?

2) Which was the earlier version? I initially thought the one with the smaller date, (shown below) as the design on the larger dated version seems to have the same reverse as the more modern versions I've seen in other threads but, I noticed that the WWII issue pieces have the same reverse with the smaller date (different date of course). So, were both made concurrently?

Anybody?

Tim

Smaller date:

Hi Prosper!

Yes, I was reading that in another old thread, and see where it came into being about the same timeframe the WWI pieces were developed. Though, as someone (Guy?) pointed out, probably only a handful were ever needed or purchased at that stage, as most of the youngest vets of that war would have been in their 70's by the time the medal was authorized. I'll have to go an check what style was used on that particular example, but hard to say if that was the only style used.

Here are two more later examples (not mine) and you can see both styles are represented. I cannot verify if the medals or bars are authentic or not, and whether or not these are currently being restruck.

Tim :cheers:

This medal was also awarded for service in the Korean War and, like those for Indo-China and Algeria, it had a bar (Coree) identifying the conflict concerned. I hope to one day acquire such a medal for my Korean War collection.

Brett

• 2 months later...

And here are the different silver bars authorized on the current model without any dates on the reverse. Here is a private maker's one.

Sorry Tim, the gilt bar "Algérie" is not for this medal, but for the campaign medal "Commémorative des Opérations en Afrique du Nord".

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2010/post-2068-127635174856.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2010/post-2068-127635176219.jpg

Edited by Bison

Hi Bison!

Thanks for the additional information here!cheers.gif

So, the difference between the two examples (like the two you posted in post #13) are just, one is the official minted version and the larger one is privately manufactured? I thought it interesting that both designs carried over into the later undated versions and this probably explains why: One is the mint version and the other, privately manufactured.

I only own the piece shown in post #12. The others are taken from various online sources and shown only for discussion here.

Good to know on the Algeria bar, as it looked really modern to me and the wear on it didn't match to the medal.

Timbeer.gif

• 3 months later...

Hello all

I would like to add that this cross was not awarded simply for enlisting as a volunteer.

Two major conditions had to be met : enlist as a volunteer during an armed conflict when no obligation was made to join the Forces + earn the Croix du Combattant which went to men who had effectively fought at least in three majors "classified combats" or been in the front area for at least three months. These conditions were waved for the wounded in combat and holders of a croix de guerre.

To be considered as a volunteer combattant, one had to be either too young or too old to be normally called up. A few other circumstances, such as joining French Forces as a foreigner in time of war, would also allow the cross to be awarded.

It was officially awarded by the MoD with a formal document. It is considered as a war-credit, ranking high in the list of French awards, immediately after the croix de guerre, military valour cross and the Resistance medal.

Regards

Veteran