News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone can provide me with information on this one,

I'm collection imperial for a year now, and many times have heard: train abteilung.

But now my question, what kind of troops is the train abteilung?

where there bavarian train abteilung troops?

any information welcome.

I'm asking since I would like to put together a train-abteilung uniform/tunic, of course bavarian since that is what I'm focussing on.

thanks!

Edited by Roeland

Guest Rick Research

Train was the supply train, or baggage convoy. They brought up ammunition, food, and so on, and Train personnel were usually assigned to medical evacuation units and that sort of unit during the war. It was a low prestige branch, but one which fulfilled many vital functions.

Train senior Sergeants and Captains used the cavalry rank titles Vizewachtmeister and Rittmeister rather than Vizefeldwebel and Hauptmann, and carried cavalry swords rather than the infantry pattern weapon.

All four Imperial German armies had Train units. Their Waffenfarbe of light blue was carried over by their successor branch in the Wehrmacht, the Fahrtruppen.

already though they where suply troops

I've been offered a uniform, it's colors are light blue with dark blue/purple? and red or pink pipping, would that be correct?

(shown is a part of a schirmm?tze)

trainrt4.jpg

Edited by Roeland

any idea where exactly the word train comes from?

I understood it could be a word for a suply-trailer from a train or a word for the personel such as chefs,bakers etc.

but have no clue what it means exaclty.

any idea where exactly the word train comes from?

I understood it could be a word for a suply-trailer from a train or a word for the personel such as chefs,bakers etc.

but have no clue what it means exaclty.

'train' from The Online Etymology Dictionary

train (n.)

c.1330, "a drawing out, delay," later "trailing part of a skirt" (c.1440), also "retinue, procession" (c.1440), from O.Fr. train (fem. traine), from trainer "to pull, draw," from V.L. *traginare, extended from *tragere "to pull," back formation from tractus, pp. of L. trahere "to pull, draw" (see tract (1)). Train of thought first attested 1651. The railroad sense is recorded from 1824, from notion of a "train" of carriages. British train-spotting "hobby of observing trains and recording locomotive numbers" is recorded from 1958.

where there bavarian train abteilung troops?

The following image is from 'Das Deutsches Heer'. According to it there were 3 Bavarian Train-Abteilungen. They are listed as Train-Bataillone. According to the book their name was changed in 1914 from Train-Bataillone to Train-Atteilungen. The same book has a drawing next the plate of the Prussian Train-Abteilungen of a uniform for a Military Baker, which has yellow shoulder straps with Roman Numerals (though the uniform still uses the light blue facing color) so Bakers were apparently not directly part of the Train-Abteilungen.

Thanks for the information chip, although it's not a train cap, I guess I'll find a place for it.

What exactly should both the cockades look like (I don't really understand what you ment).

I myself often saw the bavarian cockade as the lower one, and another one on top, which I guess is what you mean, I did notice it myself when I bought it.

should they(the cockardes) be as this one I have (it's a 2nd infantry regiment cap):

schirmmutzeyt1.jpg

Edited by Roeland

Roeland,

It looks like your cap has a correct Bavarian officer's cockade on the band. I am not sure what the top cockade is, but what you need to replace it would look like this...

Chip

Roeland,

Just one more observation. The Bavarian cockade on your blue cap is most likely incorrect. This is the 1916 pattern cockade that was introduced in March of that year. Your cap, though it could have been worn by troops in Germany, who were still wearing the old Dunkelblau uniform parts, would have had the earllier style cockade. I have shown the style you need below.

Chip

Edited by Chip