News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Organization Of America States Medal

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

As I recall, there was a very good piece on this medal in the JOMSA some years back. Let me look . . . .

Thanks ED. If you can find it or post a link here, I'd appreciate it. I can remember reading something somewhere. Maybe that's where it was located :cheers:

In short, it was created by the OAS for award to those troops who served in the Dominican Republic in 1965. However, the United States, which supplied the vast majority of the forces involved, declined the medal. The OAS decided to destroy the stocks they had, so most were destroyed by burning. However, whoever handled the destruction wasn't too zealous and many (1000s ?) escaped with varying damage (usually the ribbons were gone and some showed fire damage). So, a little reribboning and some planchet cleaning brought back to life the "Medal That Never Was".

Guest Darrell

In short, it was created by the OAS for award to those troops who served in the Dominican Republic in 1965. However, the United States, which supplied the vast majority of the forces involved, declined the medal. The OAS decided to destroy the stocks they had, so most were destroyed by burning. However, whoever handled the destruction wasn't too zealous and many (1000s ?) escaped with varying damage (usually the ribbons were gone and some showed fire damage). So, a little reribboning and some planchet cleaning brought back to life the "Medal That Never Was".

Thanks Jeff. So what's the chances ones offered for sale are originals or just repros. A little different than modern medals that are struck by official gov't contractors.

• 5 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

Here is the medal I managed to pick up recently.

Edited by Darrell

• 1 year later...