News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I saw a Train spiked helmet for >EM, with chinscales like an officer... is this correct? Why would they not have a regular leather chinstrap?

Thanks

Chris

Some EM helmets had chinscales. Guard units for example. Could it have been a one-year volunteer officer?

A good question...

I was offered a Train helmet that looked liked a regular Prussian infantry helmet, other than the train stamp inside... but then I saw a train EM helmet with chiscales and wondered if they were all supposed to have the chinscales...

A good question...

I was offered a Train helmet that looked liked a regular Prussian infantry helmet, other than the train stamp inside... but then I saw a train EM helmet with chiscales and wondered if they were all supposed to have the chinscales...

Chris,

I'm no expert, but according to a reference work I have, Imperial German Headgear (1888-1914) Field Guide by James D. Turinetti and Jn. Albert O'Connor, enlisted men's train helmets had brass chin scales for parade dress, leather chin straps for the field.

I'm no expert, but according to a reference work I have, Imperial German Headgear (1888-1914) Field Guide by James D. Turinetti and Jn. Albert O'Connor, enlisted men's train helmets had brass chin scales for parade dress, leather chin straps for the field.

I think the answer above by Turinetti and O'Connor was not well researched. I asked about this once with the author of this: http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pt/pickelhaube.htm

Regarding his saying under the Dragoon helmet "In 1894 the Infantry pattern mounts for removable chinscales were adopted and in 1914 leather chinstraps with wider M1891 mounts were introduced to replace the gilt chinscales in the field. Photographs as late as 1915, however, show chinscales still being worn."

he immediately sent me a dozen photo of artillery, train and dragoon soldiers etc. all in field grey, all wearing chin scales. So I beleive him, that it was not just for parades, but that scales were still worn by many units in the field, hidden by thier helmet covers.