News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This wall contains 4,000 service medals...

Hi Christophe very moving and an impressive place, it is edifying to think that countries build specific memorials to their countrymen who fell defending their country and beliefs, to me in this situation it doesn't really matter if they are original or repro, the message of so many medals on display seems to highlight the numbers of people involved.

However If I put my medal collectors hat on, it is has bit of a "Wow" factor to it

regards

Alex

Please, don't forget the main aim of the place is remembrance, and not phaleristics :rolleyes: ...

The place and this "monument" are just symbols, for everyone to remember about the men and women who fought or were in these wars and peacekeeping operations. I just find it quite "striking" and aesthetic. Don't underestimate the effect such a display can have on youngest generations.

Cheers.

Ch.

Its not phaleristics talking Christophe. Medals talk of specific service and acts. They show where a soldier has been and what he was up against. Some of them talk of periods of service, others talk of individual acts of courage. Some talk of surviving, others of laying down one's life in the name of an ideal, belief or a selfless act of valour. As a friend once told me.... "they have soul in them"

My point is that what turns out to be a "geometric" display of repros, (if I may call it that) will never have the same effect as the original groups of veterans had these, say, been donated to the memorial for what is indeed a very good cause - rememberance - lest we forget. But then again...yes.....maybe I am letting the fact that I know a medal is so much more than "just a symbol" cloud my judgement on this matter.

Jim :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

I'd wager they are replicas (which have an active and moderately respected 'niche' in Australia). Worse would be that they are dipped and painted originals (with clasps stripped).

A classy display, though!

G'da Ed

I was surprised at the amount of people on Anzac Day who were wearing replicas. The main reason being that they didn't want to lose their originals at the post-march celebrations. Seems fair enough, though I have only ever worn my originals on the day.

Regards;

Johnsy

I think the effect would be diminished by them being 'non-awarded' medals, at least to those who care in the slightest about what medals represent.

I still remember taking my daughter, who learned to read sitting on my knee while I was working on my website, to Carnarfon Castle and into the Royal Welch Fusiliers museum, she was aged about three and a half. She scampered in, stopped dead in her tracks and shouted "Medals!" She was particularly impressed by the first real Victoria Cross she had ever seen (she was always asking to look at that page on the site), and certainly surprised the curator that she knew what it was!

She's now 10 and still likes to come and look at the medals, she's always asking which one I am working on today.

I think the effect would be diminished by them being 'non-awarded' medals, at least to those who care in the slightest about what medals represent.

I still remember taking my daughter, who learned to read sitting on my knee while I was working on my website, to Carnarfon Castle and into the Royal Welch Fusiliers museum, she was aged about three and a half. She scampered in, stopped dead in her tracks and shouted "Medals!" She was particularly impressed by the first real Victoria Cross she had ever seen (she was always asking to look at that page on the site), and certainly surprised the curator that she knew what it was!

She's now 10 and still likes to come and look at the medals, she's always asking which one I am working on today.

G'da Megan;

Your daughter would be well impressed with the Australian War Memorial then!! Heaps of VCs there and many other medals. Here is a link to my (as yet unfinished) expose of the AWM. You can see the "medal only" version on the British Medal Forum under Museums.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14599

Regards;

Johnsy