News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I was interested in starting a thread on the Saxon Friedrich August Medal. I think this is an underappreciated medal that we see a lot but was highly valued by those who received it. This one is on the peace ribbon and was given to men. Before I looked at the website, Sachsens-Orden, I didn't know how rare this medal was. That site reports that only 838 bronze Friedrich August Medals were awarded with the men's ribbon spange. The women's is even rarer with only 162 awarded. Does anyone have more pictures of this medal or of it being worn, especially with the ribbon spanges.

Guest Rick Research

This is a silver:

Due to strange old photographic processes, yellow comes out looking like black (you get used to that sort of weirdness eventually). This Feldwebel from Saxon Infantry Regiment 182 obviously had a mix of frontline and home service, maybe after being wounded and no longer able to serve at the front.

A closeup, while not clarifying that strange old yellow-chromatic problem, clearly shows that this is a wartime Friedrich August Medal in silver with that bar:

Thanks Joe for the "Sachsen Orden" web site referral

I'm confused about the "Friedrich August Medaille am Kriegsband" sometimes it shows a yellow and light blue ribbon and other times the ribbon apperars to be yellow and white. Is it my eyes?

Regards, Hardy

Thanks Joe for the "Sachsen Orden" web site referral

I'm confused about the "Friedrich August Medaille am Kriegsband" sometimes it shows a yellow and light blue ribbon and other times the ribbon apperars to be yellow and white. Is it my eyes?

Regards, Hardy

The white is faded blue. That dye wasn't too stable.